POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : user_defined camera Server Time
23 Apr 2024 21:14:38 EDT (-0400)
  user_defined camera (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: user_defined camera
Date: 4 Jun 2019 08:18:45
Message: <5cf661a5@news.povray.org>

https://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3CXnsA9E3A3F647A49seed7%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=427321&moff=10

> igmar

I noted that you'd run into an issue, but not dug any deeper. If I find
a little time and energy, I'll take a closer look. It'll be later this
week - at best.

I have been thinking about the general problem as I go about life.
Probably extra standard set up would need to be always be available with
user defined cameras - more vectors or whatever? - and then the camera
functions written against that extra stuff. The transform mechanisms
would act on the extra 'stuff' and the the camera's functions having
been written against that 'stuff' would too transform in a defined way.

I mean, with functional definition of just rays origins and directions,
nothing stops users from creating sets of rays that have nothing in
common within one user defined camera. A set of camera rays might just
be generating some information stored as an image that some other
process later interprets perhaps controlling shape movement in some
animation say. What would transforms there mean or ever be used to do...

Aside: Since creating that depth map patch that can capture information
in addition to ray depths, I've found myself playing with it and related
ideas. Thinking in particular of coupling that functionality with user
defined cameras. We can now shoot rays collecting all sorts of
information that might, for example, allow us to create a file of
photons where POV-Ray's internal shooting process isn't involved at all.
A file of photons loaded an just creating some end image effect...

Another thought I've had is some sort of two step process where an
explicit camera rig consisting of explicit splines for rays origins and
directions are defined(1). We transform then those splines. The user
defined camera functions become then nothing more than indexing
functions into the splines.

(1) Perhaps adding shapes in the camera rig too. Something I first
hacked at with the newer lemon shape was to use it to create a curved
arc of traces in a two step process. Two linear splines defining the
origin and direction shooting traces at the inside of the lemon - its
end points the same as the direction spline. The collected intersections
and normals were captured and then themselves used as origins and
directions for the actual inward arc of traces I wanted. Basically I got
lazy and off loaded a bunch of math onto POV-Ray itself. Maybe similar
tricks can be used with user defined cameras that enable transforms too.

Bill P.