POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : cutaway_textures Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:26:32 EDT (-0400)
  cutaway_textures (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: cutaway_textures
Date: 22 Jan 2019 06:15:00
Message: <web.5c46fa224fd54e8b765e06870@news.povray.org>
Here's a little tidbit that I've either forgotten all about, or never knew
existed in the first place!  :O
I'm not sure why I've never come across this or noticed it in anyone's code
before...

{Just an "Oooh!  Look!  post.}

3.4.6.10 Cutaway TexturesSyntax:

difference | intersection {
  OBJECT_1_WITH_TEXTURES
  OBJECT_2_WITH_NO_TEXTURE
  cutaway_textures
  }
When using a CSG difference or intersection to cut away parts of an object, it
is sometimes desirable to allow the object to retain its original texture.
Generally, however, the texture of the surface that was used to do the cutting
will be displayed.
Also, if the cutting object was not given a texture by the user, the default
texture is assigned to it.

By using the cutaway_textures keyword in a CSG difference or intersection, you
specify that you do not want the default texture on the intersected surface, but
instead, the textures of the parent objects in the CSG should be used.
POV-Ray will determine which texture(s) to use by doing insidedness tests on the
objects in the difference or intersection. If the intersection point is inside
an object, that object's texture will be used (and evaluated at the interior
point).
If the parent object is a CSG of objects with different textures, then the
textures on overlapping parts will be averaged together.