POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Default Directory Layout Server Time
29 Mar 2024 05:12:15 EDT (-0400)
  Default Directory Layout (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Shinzo
Subject: Default Directory Layout
Date: 7 Oct 2018 11:05:01
Message: <web.5bba2070f60021fd1f2e84640@news.povray.org>
Hello folks,

I recently downloaded the v3.7 of povray and wanted to make a portable version
of povray as I did with previous versions.

With versions prior to 3.7 I only had to install, make a backup copy of the
installation directory, and uninstall again. When I started povray within the
backup directory afterwards it would say something like:

"It seems you don't have installed povray. Povray will use the default directory
layout."

After that message povray would work just fine.

However with v3.7 Povray is unable to find "colors.inc" and any other include
file after that initial message and it seems that povray is searching in
C:\Users\Documents for that files instead within the default directory layout. I
also cleaned the registry from any Povray related entries but that had no
effect.

I would be glad if someone could point me a hint where to tell povray to search
for the include files.

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply to this message

> I recently downloaded the v3.7 of povray and wanted to make a portable version
> of povray as I did with previous versions.
>
> With versions prior to 3.7 I only had to install, make a backup copy of the
> installation directory, and uninstall again. When I started povray within the
> backup directory afterwards it would say something like:
>
> "It seems you don't have installed povray. Povray will use the default directory
> layout."
>
> After that message povray would work just fine.
>
> However with v3.7 Povray is unable to find "colors.inc" and any other include
> file after that initial message and it seems that povray is searching in
> C:\Users\Documents for that files instead within the default directory layout. I
> also cleaned the registry from any Povray related entries but that had no
> effect.
>
> I would be glad if someone could point me a hint where to tell povray to search
> for the include files.
>
> Thanks in advance.

C:/Users/Documents/[User]/My Documents/POV-Ray/v3.7 is now the default
location for all the files.

Here, you find :
/include
/ini
/Insert Menu
/scenes

Now, the install directory only contain executable codes, some sounds
and the /tiles folder.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> > I recently downloaded the v3.7 of povray and wanted to make a portable version
> > of povray as I did with previous versions.
> >
> > With versions prior to 3.7 I only had to install, make a backup copy of the
> > installation directory, and uninstall again. When I started povray within the
> > backup directory afterwards it would say something like:
> >
> > "It seems you don't have installed povray. Povray will use the default directory
> > layout."
> >
> > After that message povray would work just fine.
> >
> > However with v3.7 Povray is unable to find "colors.inc" and any other include
> > file after that initial message and it seems that povray is searching in
> > C:\Users\Documents for that files instead within the default directory layout. I
> > also cleaned the registry from any Povray related entries but that had no
> > effect.
> >
> > I would be glad if someone could point me a hint where to tell povray to search
> > for the include files.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> C:/Users/Documents/[User]/My Documents/POV-Ray/v3.7 is now the default
> location for all the files.
>
> Here, you find :
> /include
> /ini
> /Insert Menu
> /scenes
>
> Now, the install directory only contain executable codes, some sounds
> and the /tiles folder.
>

> Alain

Thanks for the reply.

I already knew that.
However, when you set INSTALL-DIR and USER-DIR to the same directory during
installation the installer won't copy anything to the user documents folder.
Everything is found within the install folder and works just fine from that
folder unless you don't uninstall POV-Ray and try to run it from a prevously
made backup folder. Then it tells you that it doesn't find any files in the
user documents folder an will use the current folder as the default directory.
While the old version then correctly searched the includes in that folder the
new version does not.

While the new version tells me it will now default to the current directory (it
shows me the backup directory where I currently running POV-Ray from) it now
searches the includes within the documents folder instead of the promised new
default and also instead of the given user-directory during the initial install.

This may be a bug, so I will file this issue additionally in the bug section of
this forum.