POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : can command-line settings be accessed automatically? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  can command-line settings be accessed automatically? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Kenneth
Subject: can command-line settings be accessed automatically?
Date: 31 Jul 2018 16:50:00
Message: <web.5b60cab9e42e8b8fa47873e10@news.povray.org>
In POV-Ray for Windows, is is possible to 'access'  command-line settings in
some automatic way, to use later for another purpose? Basically, I would like to
(somehow) #read those settings for subsequent math manipulation or whatever. I
don't mean a simple copy-and-paste routine, manually pasting the parameters into
a scene-- that would be cumbersome for the idea I have-- but rather, some kind
of automatic mechanism that can access the information that's there. I don't see
any particular commands or keywords in the documentation that do such a thing--
i.e., *returning* the information-- but that could be due to my own ignorance
;-)

If the information *is* available via some in-built variable or keyword (similar
to clock or frame_number or etc), then I could simply use the variable in my
scene code-- with no need to copy-and-paste. That's the basic idea, anyway.

Here's the scenario I have in mind: In the render window (after a successful
render), a user can outline a 'partial' rectangular section of the image with
the mouse for a future render. When also using the shift key, this 'creates'
some command-line information and brings up the Command Line Dialog pane, where
the rectangular coordinates can be 'saved' without actually starting the new
render yet.  Those coordinates are what I want for the subsequent render (with
some additional manipulation!) But the command-line info isn't actually 'saved'
anywhere, that I know of, other than on the command line. (The 'save' button
just means 'set but don't render', AFAIK.)

Manually choosing and entering the rectangular coordinates into the command-line
first (as opposed to using the mouse to create them) would defeat the whole
purpose of my idea, which needs to be streamlined and efficient. I want to
create a macro or include file that can be used in any scene, with no need for
hands-on intervention.

Post a reply to this message