POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Holes in brick pattern Server Time
20 Apr 2024 05:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Holes in brick pattern (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Ton
Subject: Holes in brick pattern
Date: 20 Jun 2018 22:50:01
Message: <web.5b2b114e78756df8cd927dec0@news.povray.org>
For my RMS Titanic project I use the brick pattern for the deck planking.

However there are gaps in the mortar lines.

Here is a test scene that shows the problem:

#version 3.7;

global_settings
{
    assumed_gamma 1
}

#declare DeckTexture = texture
{
    pigment
    {
        brick
        srgb <0, 0, 0>, srgb <1, 1, 1>
        brick_size <20, 1, 10>
        mortar 0.05
    }
    rotate <90, 0, 0>
}

light_source
{
    <-150, 250, 0>
    color rgb <1, 1, 1>
}

camera
{
   location <-260, 38, 20>
   right x * image_width / image_height
   look_at <-240, 26, 10>
}

box
{
    <-250, 0, -50>, <0, 0, 50>
    texture
    {
        DeckTexture
    }
}

My povray version is
Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.8.0-alpha.9606898.unofficial (g++
7.3.0 @ x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)

I have tried with maximum anit-aliasing (+a0.1 +r9), but I'm still having the
gaps. Is there any way I can fix this?

Thanks
Ton.

Post a reply to this message

> For my RMS Titanic project I use the brick pattern for the deck planking.
>
> However there are gaps in the mortar lines.
>
> Here is a test scene that shows the problem:

[snip]

> My povray version is
> Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.8.0-alpha.9606898.unofficial (g++
> 7.3.0 @ x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
>
> I have tried with maximum anit-aliasing (+a0.1 +r9), but I'm still having the
> gaps. Is there any way I can fix this?

There are two ways:

1) increase the mortar size. Crude solution and you will still find
moire effects too.

2) Use stochastic anti-aliasing provided by UberPOV. This is, to my
knowledge, the best way although it may slow down your render ultimately.

To use this:
1) download UberPOV at: https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV/releases/

2) Change #version 3.7; to #version unofficial patch 3.71;

3) Stochastic ant-aliasing is provided by choosing one of the following
settings for your render (width and height to your convenience of course:
// +w800 +h600 +am3 +a0.1 +ac0.90 +r3
// +w800 +h600 +am3 +a0.01 +ac0.90 +r4
// +w800 +h600 +am3 +a0.01 +ac0.99 +r4
// +w800 +h600 +am3 +a0.01 +ac0.99 +r6

Explanation, in the words of Clipka:
[start citation]
As for the mode 3 oversampling, this mode is driven by a stochastic
algorithm, similar to focal blur;
the +a parameter specifies the /variance/, and the +ac parameter
specifies the /confidence/.

In layman's terms, the mode 3 is all about estimates: While it renders
pixels over and over again,
it estimates (A) the colour of the pixel, (B) the error in the estimated
colour,
i.e. how much it still differs from the actual value, and (C) the
reliability of the error estimate.
The +a parameter specifies the maximum estimated error you are willing
to accept, while the +ac parameter
specifies the minimum reliability you demand for that error estimate.

In even simpler terms, the +a parameter affects the amount of general
noise in the resulting image,
while the +ac parameter affects the amount of speckle artefacts.

(Last not least, the +r parameter puts a hard maximum on the number of
samples per pixel.
The effective limit is 4 to the power of the parameter value, making it
approximately the same as
for a worst-case scenario in anti-aliasing mode 2.)
[end citation]

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message