POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problem with name space for user-defined functions Server Time
29 Mar 2024 01:30:53 EDT (-0400)
  Problem with name space for user-defined functions (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Problem with name space for user-defined functions
Date: 3 Apr 2018 11:15:00
Message: <web.5ac3998d3d5e6ed05bf3e3600@news.povray.org>
Try this:

#macro P()
    #local B = 0;
#end

#macro Q()
    #local B = function { 0 };
    P()
#end

Q()

// Error message in version 3.7.0.msvc10.win64 and in
// version 3.8.0-alpha.9322209+av499.msvc14.win64 for the code above:
// "Parse Error: Redeclaring functions is not allowed - undef# the function
first!"

- and this:

#macro M()
    #local A = function { 0 };
#end

#declare A = 0;

M()

// Error message in version 3.7.0.msvc10.win64 for the code above:
// "Parse Error: Attemped to redefine float identifier as function identifier."
// (No error message for this in version 3.8.0-alpha.9322209+av499.msvc14.win64)

I'm aware of this part of the documentation:

http://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/r3_3.html#r3_3_1_8_3
"Note: Redeclaring functions, directly, is not allowed. The way to do this is to
undef it first."

- but shouldn't it still be possible to have user defined functions that are
stored in local variables in macros without having to worry about which names to
choose for those local variables ?

I tested this on a PC with Windows 7 Professioinal 64 bit. I have not tested
this in any Linux versions of POV-Ray yet.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:

> #macro P()
>     #local B = 0;
> #end
>
> #macro Q()
>     #local B = function { 0 };
>     P()
> #end
>
> Q()
>
> // Error message in version 3.7.0.msvc10.win64 and in
> // version 3.8.0-alpha.9322209+av499.msvc14.win64 for the code above:
> // "Parse Error: Redeclaring functions is not allowed - undef# the function
> first!"

Same error message in v3.7.1 beta 9 (on Win 7)

But that construct is essentially the same as this (and the original #macro P()
can be commented-out, with no change):

#macro Q()
#local B = function { 0 };
#local B = 0;
#end
Q()

This throws the same error. So it appears that B can't be re-#local'ed there,
even though the 'new' B is not actually a new function.

However, this throws NO error...
#macro Q()
    #local B = function { 0 };
#end
#local B = 0; // or #declare
Q()

Strange. Although, in this case, the 'first' #local B to be 'processed' is
   #local B = 0;
which is NOT a function. So when B is then #local'ed again inside macro Q()--
only when Q() is INVOKED, apparently-- all is well.

BTW, there's no error at all when Q() is not actually invoked. That's
interesting; I thought your original code error might still appear, when POV-Ray
initially 'reads' #macro Q() in the SDL.

> - and this:
>
> #macro M()...
[snip]

No error in my version either.