POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 'Search' results problem Server Time
28 Mar 2024 18:57:48 EDT (-0400)
  'Search' results problem (Message 1 to 10 of 27)
From: Kenneth
Subject: 'Search' results problem
Date: 12 Dec 2017 22:10:00
Message: <web.5a309935d77a99489df8d30@news.povray.org>
Just noticed something abnormal when attempting to do a 'search' for a topic in
the newsgroups (I'm on Windows 7 with the latest update to Firefox).

The search results are limited to a few advertisements (nothing POV-ray-related
at all), along with this warning:

"Unauthorized access to internal API. Please refer to
https://support.google.com/customsearch/answer/4542055"

I haven't seen that before.

Post a reply to this message

> Just noticed something abnormal when attempting to do a 'search' for a topic in
> the newsgroups (I'm on Windows 7 with the latest update to Firefox).
>
> The search results are limited to a few advertisements (nothing POV-ray-related
> at all), along with this warning:
>
> "Unauthorized access to internal API. Please refer to
> https://support.google.com/customsearch/answer/4542055"
>
> I haven't seen that before.

I have tried with Chrome, Firefox, and on PS4, the search don't work.

Post a reply to this message

>> Just noticed something abnormal when attempting to do a 'search' for a topic in
>> the newsgroups (I'm on Windows 7 with the latest update to Firefox).
>>
>> The search results are limited to a few advertisements (nothing POV-ray-related
>> at all), along with this warning:
>>
>> "Unauthorized access to internal API. Please refer to
>> https://support.google.com/customsearch/answer/4542055"
>>
>> I haven't seen that before.
>
> I have tried with Chrome, Firefox, and on PS4, the search don't work.

I think the search option has been broken for quite some time. I
remember trying it  months ago and it didn't work. I have some extremely
dim recollection about it being disabled for spam reasons? Or was that
the Objects Collection?

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> I think the search option has been broken for quite some time. I
> remember trying it  months ago and it didn't work. I have some extremely
> dim recollection about it being disabled for spam reasons? Or was that
> the Objects Collection?
>
> --
> Thomas

I have frequently used Search in the recent past to find threads and specific
postings, and it seemed to work as well as it ever did.   Must be a recent
thing.

IIRC there was an Object Collection feature that had been disabled, so that must
be it.

Post a reply to this message

I suspect that the problem-- of interfacing with Google's
changed(?)custom-search API-- is not an easy one to fix.

Any new info to report?

Post a reply to this message