POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Standalone editor & parser? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Standalone editor & parser? (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Standalone editor & parser?
Date: 27 Oct 2017 10:05:00
Message: <web.59f33c24e089fcd9c437ac910@news.povray.org>

> You'd have to copy the whole POV-Ray install directory (e.g. `C:\Program
> Files\POV-Ray\v3.7\`) to the USB stick (e.g. `E:\POV-Ray\v3.7\`).
>
> In addition, you'd have to copy POV-Ray's directory of user-editable
> files (sample scenes, include files etc., e.g.
> `C:\Users\JohnDoe\Documents\POV-Ray\v3.7`) to the USB stick (e.g.
> `E:\User\POV-Ray\v3.7\

Did that, 'cause I figured I'd need those  ;)

> On the system you want to work on, you'd then have to invoke the
> following command once:
>
>     pvengine.exe /INSTALL "E:\POV-Ray\v3.7\" "E:\User\POV-Ray\v3.7\"
>
> (It should also be possible to throw both directories together on the
> USB stick.)
>
> However, this does not really qualify as a so-called "portable
> installation", which is what most people expect when they talk about
> "running program XY off a USB stick", as the above command does actually
> modify the computer's registry. This means that it won't work on a
> computer where you don't have the necessary administrative privileges.

Exactly.
I was curious, as it would be something useful _for me_.

I'm assuming the same situation applies if I'm running it off of a network
drive.

Post a reply to this message

Am 27.10.2017 um 16:01 schrieb Bald Eagle:

>> However, this does not really qualify as a so-called "portable
>> installation", which is what most people expect when they talk about
>> "running program XY off a USB stick", as the above command does actually
>> modify the computer's registry. This means that it won't work on a
>> computer where you don't have the necessary administrative privileges.

> Exactly.
> I was curious, as it would be something useful _for me_.
>
> I'm assuming the same situation applies if I'm running it off of a network
> drive.

Hm... I must correct my above statement: Admin privileges should /not/
be needed, as the registry keys are stored in HKCU (the current user's
registry stuff).

However, I've never tried this, so I can't vouch for it.