POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : #declare really is anxious about its semicolon Server Time
28 Mar 2024 21:53:27 EDT (-0400)
  #declare really is anxious about its semicolon (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Ard
Subject: #declare really is anxious about its semicolon
Date: 7 Oct 2017 05:10:01
Message: <web.59d898b6dd6c5614a6573c40@news.povray.org>
Greetings, all.  I do not know whether this is a misbehaviour, so I shall post
about it here rather than in the bugs group.

The following line fails to parse, with "All #declares of [etc] require
semi-colon ';' at end if the language version is set to 3.5 or higher".

  #local A = #if (1) 123 #end ;

If you shift the semicolon to before the #end, it's good.  Or, this:

  #local A = #if (1) 123+ #end 0 ;

The example here is trivial of course but in my case the "123" was actually a
vector coming out of the mother of all macros, so finding the root cause took
some head-scratching.

I can see why it happens:  POV is attempting to prevent the parser from diving
into the rabbit hole when the semicolon truly is missing.

(I just noticed that the error message could use a polish-up too, depending on
how fussy you are about English.)

Maybe it will help others who find themselves in the same jam.

Post a reply to this message

> Greetings, all.  I do not know whether this is a misbehaviour, so I shall post
> about it here rather than in the bugs group.
> The following line fails to parse, with "All #declares of [etc] require
> semi-colon ';' at end if the language version is set to 3.5 or higher".
>   #local A = #if (1) 123 #end ;
> If you shift the semicolon to before the #end, it's good.  Or, this:
>   #local A = #if (1) 123+ #end 0 ;
> The example here is trivial of course but in my case the "123" was actually a
> vector coming out of the mother of all macros, so finding the root cause took
> some head-scratching.

parentheses help:

#local A = (#if (1) 123 #end) ;

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

Uh, I feel silly for not trying that.  Thanks JR.

Post a reply to this message