POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3.71 patch for binary "mesh3" format Server Time
29 Mar 2024 10:12:30 EDT (-0400)
  3.71 patch for binary "mesh3" format (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: 3.71 patch for binary "mesh3" format
Date: 21 Aug 2017 10:05:00
Message: <web.599ae7fec2dcb8a5c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"There are two options for output, mesh2 and mesh3. mesh2 is povray's format.
It's completely ASCII based and hella slow and bloated. mesh3 is a hacked binary
format that is orders of magnitude faster and more compact. However mesh3 can
only be used with a patched version of povray 3.7.1. The patch is included in
vtk2pov patch directory."

https://github.com/burlen/vtk2pov

VTK:  http://www.vtk.org/

Post a reply to this message

> "There are two options for output, mesh2 and mesh3. mesh2 is povray's for
mat.
> It's completely ASCII based and hella slow and bloated. mesh3 is a hacked
 binary
> format that is orders of magnitude faster and more compact. However mesh3
 can
> only be used with a patched version of povray 3.7.1. The patch is include
d in
> vtk2pov patch directory."
>
> https://github.com/burlen/vtk2pov
>
> VTK:  http://www.vtk.org/

And how to create MESH3 meshes?
Instructions needed.

---
http://www.avg.com

Post a reply to this message

On 21/08/2017 21:30, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> On 21.08.2017 10:02, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> "There are two options for output, mesh2 and mesh3. mesh2 is povray's format.
>> It's completely ASCII based and hella slow and bloated. mesh3 is a hacked binary
>> format that is orders of magnitude faster and more compact. However mesh3 can
>> only be used with a patched version of povray 3.7.1. The patch is included in
>> vtk2pov patch directory."
>>
>> https://github.com/burlen/vtk2pov
>>
>> VTK:  http://www.vtk.org/
>>

> And how to create MESH3 meshes?
> Instructions needed.

Why would you want to if only the patched version can use them?

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 21/08/2017 21:30, Sven Littkowski wrote:
>> On 21.08.2017 10:02, Bald Eagle wrote:
>>> "There are two options for output, mesh2 and mesh3. mesh2 is povray's
>>> format.
>>> It's completely ASCII based and hella slow and bloated. mesh3 is a
>>> hacked binary
>>> format that is orders of magnitude faster and more compact. However
>>> mesh3 can
>>> only be used with a patched version of povray 3.7.1. The patch is
>>> included in
>>> vtk2pov patch directory."
>>>
>>> https://github.com/burlen/vtk2pov
>>>
>>> VTK:  http://www.vtk.org/
>>>

>> And how to create MESH3 meshes?
>> Instructions needed.
>>

> Why would you want to if only the patched version can use them?

Because I always like to try out patched versions, and if there is a
speed bonus, why not to try?

---
http://www.avg.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 21 Aug 2017 18:32:38
Message: <599b5f86$1@news.povray.org>
On 21/08/2017 23:05, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> On 21.08.2017 17:06, Stephen wrote:

>>> And how to create MESH3 meshes?
>>> Instructions needed.
>>>

>> Why would you want to if only the patched version can use them?
>>

> Because I always like to try out patched versions, and if there is a
> speed bonus, why not to try?

If that's what you like. Enjoy :)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 22 Aug 2017 02:43:17
Message: <599bd285$1@news.povray.org>
On 22-8-2017 0:05, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> On 21.08.2017 17:06, Stephen wrote:

>>> And how to create MESH3 meshes?
>>> Instructions needed.
>>>

>> Why would you want to if only the patched version can use them?
>>

> Because I always like to try out patched versions, and if there is a
> speed bonus, why not to try?

However, I seriously question the /meaning/ of that "speed bonus". After
all, it is what the original maker (as cited by Bald Eagle) tells us. My
experience is that there is nothing wrong with the "speed" of huge mesh2
files, so I would not even take the trouble.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 22 Aug 2017 04:46:04
Message: <599bef4c$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/08/2017 07:43, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 22-8-2017 0:05, Sven Littkowski wrote:

>>> Why would you want to if only the patched version can use them?
>>>

>> Because I always like to try out patched versions, and if there is a
>> speed bonus, why not to try?
>>

> However, I seriously question the /meaning/ of that "speed bonus". After
> all, it is what the original maker (as cited by Bald Eagle) tells us. My
> experience is that there is nothing wrong with the "speed" of huge mesh2
> files, so I would not even take the trouble.

Never the less, just out of idle curiosity. It would be interesting to
see the results of some tests.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with the speed of mesh2 in PovRay.
But if there were a significant speed up another propriety format
wouldn't blow up the world.

We could put in a feature request for Pov Ver 4.0

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 22 Aug 2017 07:00:59
Message: <599c0eeb@news.povray.org>
On 22-8-2017 10:45, Stephen wrote:
> On 22/08/2017 07:43, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>>> Because I always like to try out patched versions, and if there is a
>>> speed bonus, why not to try?
>>>

>> However, I seriously question the /meaning/ of that "speed bonus".
>> After all, it is what the original maker (as cited by Bald Eagle)
>> tells us. My experience is that there is nothing wrong with the
>> "speed" of huge mesh2 files, so I would not even take the trouble.
>>

> Never the less, just out of idle curiosity. It would be interesting to
> see the results of some tests.
>
> I agree that there is nothing wrong with the speed of mesh2 in PovRay.
> But if there were a significant speed up another propriety format
> wouldn't blow up the world.
>
> We could put in a feature request for Pov Ver 4.0

That might be an idea indeed.

However, there is one point I do not like about the mesh3: it is a
binary format and so not editable as mesh2 is. I find that a serious
disadvantage.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Aug 2017 08:05:01
Message: <web.599c1d96e553792dc437ac910@news.povray.org>
> On 22-8-2017 10:45, Stephen wrote:

> > Never the less, just out of idle curiosity. It would be interesting to
> > see the results of some tests.

Yes, that was the primary motivation for posting the link, and I thought that
VTK looked like it was an interesting modeler that some folks might find useful.
 It had some fancy tools like Voronoi and Delaunay that has historically been of
interest to certain Povvers.

> However, there is one point I do not like about the mesh3: it is a
> binary format and so not editable as mesh2 is. I find that a serious
> disadvantage.

My thought there was that the mesh could be SAVED as mesh3 for USE, and if it
needed to be edited, then I'm sure there would be a way to save it back to mesh2
and then convert back again.   My understanding of meshes is that most of them
are so large that they are primarily used as static models.
Even a small speed increase could add up to a large time savings for animators.

I really have to get a Linux box up and running....

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 22 Aug 2017 16:01:56
Message: <599c8db4$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/08/2017 13:03, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> However, there is one point I do not like about the mesh3: it is a
>> binary format and so not editable as mesh2 is. I find that a serious
>> disadvantage.
> My thought there was that the mesh could be SAVED as mesh3 for USE,

That's the way I'm thinking. "Finalise" it.

>and if it
> needed to be edited, then I'm sure there would be a way to save it back to mesh2
> and then convert back again.   My understanding of meshes is that most of them
> are so large that they are primarily used as static models.

If you make animations you use a series of meshes.

> Even a small speed increase could add up to a large time savings for animators.

It could indeed.

> I really have to get a Linux box up and running....

Is that a non sequitur?

--

Regards
     Stephen