POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : interesting mountains using Fractint? or a user defined function? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  interesting mountains using Fractint? or a user defined function? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: peyrol
Subject: interesting mountains using Fractint? or a user defined function?
Date: 6 Jul 2017 13:00:01
Message: <web.595e6b798e830664ab0842020@news.povray.org>
In the documentation for height fields, I read this:

"POT files generated with [Fractint] create fantastic landscapes."

It also says a user defined function is possible. I want to put a steep and
jagged, possibly surreal looking, mountain in the background of an image. Any
reference to POT files or user functions which might work for me would be most
welcome. TIA

Post a reply to this message

> In the documentation for height fields, I read this:
>
> "POT files generated with [Fractint] create fantastic landscapes."
>
> It also says a user defined function is possible. I want to put a steep and
> jagged, possibly surreal looking, mountain in the background of an image. Any
> reference to POT files or user functions which might work for me would be most
> welcome. TIA

Ah! the very reason I downloaded PovRay almost 20 years ago. :)
You can use a POT file as a heightfield (Although I've never got round
to doing it. :( )
I found that using png files quite satisfactory for my needs.

You can use functions or isosurfaces as another method.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Date: 6 Jul 2017 15:54:18
Message: <595e956a$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/06/2017 12:55 PM, peyrol wrote:
> In the documentation for height fields, I read this:
>
> "POT files generated with [Fractint] create fantastic landscapes."
>
> It also says a user defined function is possible. I want to put a steep and
> jagged, possibly surreal looking, mountain in the background of an image. Any
> reference to POT files or user functions which might work for me would be most
> welcome. TIA

A collection of sample scenes ships with POV-Ray. On Unix based systems
you can find them in your local install at:

<installdir>/share/povray-<version>/scenes

so something like:

/usr/local/share/povray-3.7/scenes

To your question there is for example a mountain in the benchmark scene
using a function to drive the creation of a height_field. Search for
height_field in <..>/scenes/advanced/benchmark/benchmark.pov.

Useful includes can be found in

/usr/local/share/povray-3.7/include

With the code base on github you can always grab these files off the web
too - if your install is perhaps more minimal. For scenes in the current
master branch see for look in:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tree/master/distribution/scenes

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Jul 2017 03:02:21
Message: <595f31fd$1@news.povray.org>
All the above of course, from my learned friends.

Additionally, I recommend the use of dedicated height_field generators
which can generate fantastic landscapes to be used in POV-Ray. Many are
free:

http://www.cyberfunks.de/page/terrabrush/index.htm
http://www.fracterra.com/wilbur.html
http://www.world-machine.com/index.php
http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/downloads/standard.php

Many are not but still affordable:

http://www.daylongraphics.com/
http://www.bitethebytes.net/bitethebytes/

Many need a well-filled wallet:

[no examples given] ;-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Simon J  Cambridge
Date: 8 Jul 2017 08:25:00
Message: <web.5960ce88a27e8145d9fe007c0@news.povray.org>
"peyrol" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> In the documentation for height fields, I read this:
>
> "POT files generated with [Fractint] create fantastic landscapes."
>
> It also says a user defined function is possible. I want to put a steep and
> jagged, possibly surreal looking, mountain in the background of an image. Any
> reference to POT files or user functions which might work for me would be most
> welcome. TIA

A subject close to my heart!

Like Thomas I would say all of the above. But I would also add that if you know
the rough outline of your topography, you can:

1) create a grey scale png file on which you have placed a rough outline,
2) run it through 'wilbur' which has very good erosion functions,
3) generate a function pattern in pov-ray using the png file
4) create an isosurface and transform the original function pattern with other
predefined functions.

like this:

#####

#declare fn_Map01=function {
   pigment { image_map {png "IslandMask.png" interpolate 2 } rotate<90, 0, 0>
scale <50, 0, 50> translate <-25, 0, -25>}
}

#declare P1 = function(x,y,z){f_ridged_mf(x, y, z, 0.9, 5, 10, 0.75, 1, 0)}

#declare P2 = function {
    pigment { dents colour_map {[0 rgb 0][1 rgb 0.001]} scale 0.001 }
}

isosurface {
    function { y-((P1(x,0,z)*fn_Map01(x, y, z).gray*0.5)+P2(x,0,z).gray) }
    contained_by { box { <-25, -1, -25> <25, 1, 25> } }
    max_gradient 3
    scale 3000
    rotate <0, 180, 0>
    translate <0, -100, 0>
    texture {T_Landscape}
}

#####

I do this kind of thing alot.

all the best,

Simon.

Post a reply to this message

From: peyrol
Date: 15 Jul 2017 19:50:01
Message: <web.596aa8f9a27e8145356cd7a10@news.povray.org>
Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful responses! I got a decent mountain out of
xfractint, and although it looked too dark initially, after going through the
tutorial on radiosity, I managed to brighten it up. I will upload to
povray.binaries.images in a few weeks.

Post a reply to this message

From: ingo
Date: 2 Aug 2017 02:28:40
Message: <XnsA7C5563D86B64seed7@news.povray.org>
in news:595f31fd$1@news.povray.org Thomas de Groot wrote:

> dedicated height_field generators

Though with some manual labour a lot can be done, a scanner and Krita for
manipulating the scanned image, it has excellent 24 bit support. Leaves
give nice HF's after quite a bit of smoothing,

Ingo

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 2 Aug 2017 02:41:41
Message: <59817425$1@news.povray.org>
On 2-8-2017 8:28, ingo wrote:
> in news:595f31fd$1@news.povray.org Thomas de Groot wrote:
>
>> dedicated height_field generators
>
> Though with some manual labour a lot can be done, a scanner and Krita for
> manipulating the scanned image, it has excellent 24 bit support. Leaves
> give nice HF's after quite a bit of smoothing,

Krita: One I didn't know about :-)

And for that matter of course, the Gimp, or PSP, or Photoshop can be
used too. It is a matter of creativity.

--
Thomas