POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pigment {color rgb < r<0, g<0, b<0 >} Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:46:17 EDT (-0400)
  pigment {color rgb < r<0, g<0, b<0 >} (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: pigment {color rgb < r<0, g<0, b<0 >}
Date: 23 Jan 2017 12:55:00
Message: <web.5886432d60f2b8d4c437ac910@news.povray.org>
Right-o.
"What's blacker than black"?"

"Vanta Black"

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/283562/scientists-discover-color-darker-than-black/

Now if only we could get a monitor to accurately display that...

What gamma setting should I use, and if I tried to access the .gray value, would
it be Grayer than Gray?  :O

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: pigment {color rgb < r<0, g<0, b<0 >}
Date: 23 Jan 2017 13:26:55
Message: <58864aef$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.01.2017 um 18:53 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> Right-o.
> "What's blacker than black"?"
>
> "Vanta Black"
>
> http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/283562/scientists-discover-color-darker-than-black/

Humbug.

This is not "blacker than black" -- this is just "blacker than the
darkest grey we've been able to create so far".

> Now if only we could get a monitor to accurately display that...
>
> What gamma setting should I use, and if I tried to access the .gray value, would
> it be Grayer than Gray?  :O

Use "assumed_gamma 1.0" as always, and specify the colour as "color rgb
.00035".

Post a reply to this message

> Am 23.01.2017 um 18:53 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> > Right-o.
> > "What's blacker than black"?"
> >
> > "Vanta Black"

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/283562/scientists-discover-color-darker-than-black/

> Humbug.
>
> This is not "blacker than black" -- this is just "blacker than the
> darkest grey we've been able to create so far".
>

> > Now if only we could get a monitor to accurately display that...
> >
> > What gamma setting should I use, and if I tried to access the .gray value, would
> > it be Grayer than Gray?  :O
>
> Use "assumed_gamma 1.0" as always, and specify the colour as "color rgb
> .00035".

No problem having r<0, b<0, g<0 in pigments or light sources, and there are some
interesting effects. But you won't see blacker than the un-illiminated grey of
the monitor when the image is displayed.

JimT