POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : bright specks media objects bug or not? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 03:25:54 EDT (-0400)
  bright specks media objects bug or not? (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: bright specks media objects bug or not?
Date: 7 Jan 2017 22:11:54
Message: <5871adfa$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.01.2017 um 16:03 schrieb Kenneth:

> I ran MichaelJF's code example with one of the latest 64-bit 3.7.1 dev builds
> (v3.7.1-alpha.8927145+av352), with and without the enclosing hollow box.
>
> Without the box, I see NO speckles at all, even during an animation with the
> camear moving around. *With* the enclosing box, the speckles appear, as noted.
> But I tried something else-- eliminating that hollow box, and substituting a
> simple thin background box *behind* the scene instead-- just as a large
> background object. With that box in the scene, the speckles are still there. But
> *without* the box, no speckles. (I actually animated the box to get smaller--
> and as the edges of the box 'pass' the individual speckles (from the camera's
> view), they disappear one by one.)
>
> From this simple test, it *seems* that the speckles only appear when there is
> some kind of background surface behind the scene's media containers. I don't
> know if this helps with the problem, but it's interesting.

Might be related to a fundamental problem POV-Ray used to have when
media stretched to infinity (e.g. when applied as an atmospheric effect
without a container, or when using an infinite object such as a plane as
a container), which has only recently been fixed -- and only for media
sampling method 3.

But even then, while this fundamental problem may have had an effect on
the symptoms, it's certainly not the root cause.