POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Do you like Banner Text Stream? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:39:25 EDT (-0400)
  Do you like Banner Text Stream? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Pietro
Subject: Do you like Banner Text Stream?
Date: 21 Nov 2016 09:15:00
Message: <web.583300beb6454ad77368765e0@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

from POV-Ray doc:
Banner: This stream displays the program's sign-on banner, copyright,
contributor's list, and some help screens. It cannot be turned off or directed
to a file because most of this text is displayed before any options or switches
are read.

Even if I admit authors and contributors done excellent work and I'm very
grateful (tnx guys), seeing 300 times a day list of them and I'm starting hate
their names one by one. (a little exaggeration ;) See, list of their names, not
them, clear?

I know, POV-Ray isn't Unix only SW, but one of Unix programming rules fits
perfectly here: Rule of Silence (
http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/taoup/html/ch01s06.html#id2878450 )

In my humble opinion the banner must be shown only on request, i.e. explicit
switch +B (as help screen is -?/+H).
I think even "POV-Ray finished" info is superfluous, I can see new prompt on my
terminal, so I know it's finished. So "[Parsing...]","[Rendering...]", and
"[Paused...]" announcements, too.

Silence is golden. The ideal would be a set of switches that switched off make
the program completely silent.

And what about you, do you like Banner Text Stream?

Regards
Pietro

Post a reply to this message

> Banner: This stream displays the program's sign-on banner, copyright,
> contributor's list, and some help screens. It cannot be turned off or directed
> to a file because most of this text is displayed before any options or switches
> are read.
>
> Even if I admit authors and contributors done excellent work and I'm very
> grateful (tnx guys), seeing 300 times a day list of them and I'm starting hate
> their names one by one. (a little exaggeration ;) See, list of their names, not
> them, clear?
>
> I know, POV-Ray isn't Unix only SW, but one of Unix programming rules fits
> perfectly here: Rule of Silence (
> http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/taoup/html/ch01s06.html#id2878450 )
>
> In my humble opinion the banner must be shown only on request, i.e. explicit
> switch +B (as help screen is -?/+H).
> I think even "POV-Ray finished" info is superfluous, I can see new prompt on my
> terminal, so I know it's finished. So "[Parsing...]","[Rendering...]", and
> "[Paused...]" announcements, too.
>
> Silence is golden. The ideal would be a set of switches that switched off make
> the program completely silent.
>
> And what about you, do you like Banner Text Stream?
>
> Regards
> Pietro

Hi Pietro,

Pending discussion and perhaps change, you can get nearer the output you
want by using the +GA option (the All_File ini option) with something like:

povray +GAstdout example.pov 2>/dev/null

which should work on linux. Other variations are possible.

Ref:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Text_Output_Options#Directing_Text_Streams_to_Files

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

> And what about you, do you like Banner Text Stream?

    Hate it. Hundred times in a day, this useless text
    suckup my bandwith on around 300km :)