POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spline vector function Server Time
25 Apr 2024 03:32:22 EDT (-0400)
  Spline vector function (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: John Greenwood
Subject: Spline vector function
Date: 19 Nov 2016 13:40:00
Message: <web.58309bfd590a407fa7cafab50@news.povray.org>
I am experimenting with this:
#version 3.7 ;
  global_settings {assumed_gamma 1.0 }

    camera {location <-10,40,-40> angle 4 look_at <0,0,0> }
    light_source {<-5,20,-20> colour rgb<1,1,1>}
  background { color rgb<0.2, 0.4, 0.8>  }

#declare Place = function {
  spline {
    linear_spline
//    -4, <-10,0,-2>
    -2, <0,0,-1>
    0, <1,0,0>
    2.0, <0,1,1>
    }
  }
 sphere {Place(-1),.1 pigment {color rgb < 1, 0, 0>}}
 sphere {Place(-.5),.1pigment {color rgb < 1, 1, 0>} }
 sphere {Place(-0),.1 pigment {color rgb < 0, 1, 0>}}
 sphere {Place(+.5),.1 pigment {color rgb < 1, 0, 1>}}
 sphere {Place(+1),.1 pigment {color rgb < 0, 0, 1>}}

This seems to work but if I add another point by deleting the // I get an error
which does not make sense (to me).

Should it be possible to do arbitarily long bezier splines?

Post a reply to this message

On 11/19/2016 01:37 PM, John Greenwood wrote:
> I am experimenting with this:
> #version 3.7 ;
>   global_settings {assumed_gamma 1.0 }
>
>     camera {location <-10,40,-40> angle 4 look_at <0,0,0> }
>     light_source {<-5,20,-20> colour rgb<1,1,1>}
>   background { color rgb<0.2, 0.4, 0.8>  }
>

> #declare Place = function {
>   spline {
>     linear_spline
> //    -4, <-10,0,-2>
>     -2, <0,0,-1>
>     0, <1,0,0>
>     2.0, <0,1,1>
>     }
>   }
>  sphere {Place(-1),.1 pigment {color rgb < 1, 0, 0>}}
>  sphere {Place(-.5),.1pigment {color rgb < 1, 1, 0>} }
>  sphere {Place(-0),.1 pigment {color rgb < 0, 1, 0>}}
>  sphere {Place(+.5),.1 pigment {color rgb < 1, 0, 1>}}
>  sphere {Place(+1),.1 pigment {color rgb < 0, 0, 1>}}
>
> This seems to work but if I add another point by deleting the // I get an error
> which does not make sense (to me).
>
> Should it be possible to do arbitarily long bezier splines?

Hi John,
Yes, you should be able to have arbitrarily long splines. I've certainly
had much longer.

To me this looks like a parse bug going back to at least 3.6.1 where a
negative index value in other than the first entry fails.

A scene file with just this works:

#declare MySpline =
  spline {
  linear_spline
  -4, <-10,0,-2>
  0, <0,0,-1>
  1, <1,0,0>
  2.0, <0,1,1>
}

but this doesn't:

#declare MySpline =
  spline {
  linear_spline
  -4, <-10,0,-2>
  -0, <0,0,-1>
  1, <1,0,0>
  2.0, <0,1,1>
}

That said, I'll let this sit a bit in case those around longer know
something I do not and want to chime in.

Otherwise, I'll open up an issue for it in a day or two.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Am 19.11.2016 um 19:37 schrieb John Greenwood:

> #declare Place = function {
>   spline {
>     linear_spline
> //    -4, <-10,0,-2>
>     -2, <0,0,-1>
>     0, <1,0,0>
>     2.0, <0,1,1>
>     }
>   }
[...]
> This seems to work but if I add another point by deleting the // I get an error
> which does not make sense (to me).

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Re-formatting gives the following code:

  #declare Place = function {
    spline {
    linear_spline
      -4, <-10,0,-2>-2,
      <0,0,-1> 0,
      <1,0,0> 2.0,
      <0,1,1>
    }
  }

Since `<-10,0,-2>-2` is a valid vector expression, that's how POV-Ray
will interpret it.

Using more commas should fix the ambiguity of the code and thus solve
the problem.

Post a reply to this message

Using a comma after each vector also works okay.

Post a reply to this message

"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> Using a comma after each vector also works okay.

Works for me too.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 19.11.2016 um 19:37 schrieb John Greenwood:
>

> It's not a bug, it's a feature.
>
> Re-formatting gives the following code:
>
>   #declare Place = function {
>     spline {
>     linear_spline
>       -4, <-10,0,-2>-2,
>       <0,0,-1> 0,
>       <1,0,0> 2.0,
>       <0,1,1>
>     }
>   }
>
> Since `<-10,0,-2>-2` is a valid vector expression, that's how POV-Ray
> will interpret it.
>
> Using more commas should fix the ambiguity of the code and thus solve
> the problem.

Ah, yes... Thanks.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message