POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : select, is this logical? Server Time
29 Mar 2024 09:44:46 EDT (-0400)
  select, is this logical? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: John Greenwood
Subject: select, is this logical?
Date: 3 Oct 2016 08:10:00
Message: <web.57f249b74d2b4fa1a7cafab50@news.povray.org>
The first parameter of the select function acts as a logic switch but does not
respond correctly to a boolean variable, thus

  #declare Change = true;
  #declare Function = function( F){select(Change,F,-F)}

gives the same result for Change = false

  #declare Function = function( F){select(-Change,F,-F)}

works.

This is not consistant, but I suppose we are stuck with it.

Post a reply to this message

On 10/03/2016 08:06 AM, John Greenwood wrote:
> The first parameter of the select function acts as a logic switch but does not
> respond correctly to a boolean variable, thus
>
>   #declare Change = true;
>   #declare Function = function( F){select(Change,F,-F)}
>
> gives the same result for Change = false
>
>   #declare Function = function( F){select(-Change,F,-F)}
>
> works.
>
> This is not consistant, but I suppose we are stuck with it.

Note there are two select variants. One with the traditional two options
you not above and a second with three select options of negative, zero
and positive. It is this latter form you want to use if your test
returns a boolean result.

I too trip over the behavior on occasion which is documented at:

  http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Numeric_Expressions#Functions

Supposing to answer for those smarter than me who architect-ed the
current behavior, I believe the idea was to go with a default select
operation which would work first with the bulk of the built in functions
which tend to always transition through zero.

Then a second form which supports both such transitions and the boolean
form.

In other words, I think they were first considering things from a
mathematical view as opposed to a programming one.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

> On 10/03/2016 08:06 AM, John Greenwood wrote:

> >   #declare Change = true;
> >   #declare Function = function( F){select(Change,F,-F)}

> Note there are two select variants. ....
> Then a second form which supports both such transitions and the boolean
> form.

So, the thing(s) to try would be:

#declare Change = true;
#declare Function = function (F) { select(Change, F, F, -F) }

or

#declare Function = function (F) { select(Change, F, -F, -F) }

Correct?

Post a reply to this message

On 10/03/2016 10:11 AM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>> On 10/03/2016 08:06 AM, John Greenwood wrote:
>
>>>   #declare Change = true;
>>>   #declare Function = function( F){select(Change,F,-F)}
>
>> Note there are two select variants. ....
>> Then a second form which supports both such transitions and the boolean
>> form.
>

> So, the thing(s) to try would be:
>
> #declare Change = true;
> #declare Function = function (F) { select(Change, F, F, -F) }
>
> or
>
> #declare Function = function (F) { select(Change, F, -F, -F) }
>
> Correct?

The 'boolean' returns 0 or 1 and so triggers only the last two of the
negative, zero or positive selections in order.

Perhaps play with this code:

#version 3.7;
global_settings { assumed_gamma 1 }
#include "functions.inc"
#debug "\n---\n"
#debug concat("select((1<0),-1.0,0.0,1.0) ==> ",
        str(select((1<0),-1.0,0.0,1.0),0,4)," \n")
#debug concat("select(false,-1.0,0.0,1.0) ==> ",
        str(select(false,-1.0,0.0,1.0),0,4)," \n")
#debug concat("select((1>0),-1.0,0.0,1.0) ==> ",
        str(select((1>0),-1.0,0.0,1.0),0,4)," \n")
#debug concat("select(true,-1.0,0.0,1.0)  ==> ",
        str(select(true,-1.0,0.0,1.0),0,4)," \n")
#debug concat("select(-1,-1.0,0.0,1.0)    ==> ",
        str(select(-1,-1.0,0.0,1.0),0,4)," \n")
#debug "---\n"
#error "Stop before actual render for demonstration code."

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message