POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Lissajous lens - no spherical symmetry Server Time
20 Apr 2024 05:49:58 EDT (-0400)
  The Lissajous lens - no spherical symmetry (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: The Lissajous lens - no spherical symmetry
Date: 12 Sep 2016 12:40:00
Message: <web.57d6da0794abf5f4b488d9aa0@news.povray.org>
Just because I found it, and someone needs to code up this sick new lens for
POV-Ray  :)

https://www.osapublishing.org/oe/abstract.cfm?uri=oe-23-5-5716

"We propose a three dimensional optical instrument with an isotropic gradient
index in which all ray trajectories form Lissajous curves. The lens represents
the first absolute optical instrument discovered to exist without spherical
symmetry (other than trivial cases such as the plane mirror or conformal maps of
spherically-symmetric lenses). An important property of this lens is that a
three-dimensional region of space can be imaged stigmatically with no
aberrations, with a point and its image not necessarily lying on a straight line
with the lens center as in all other absolute optical instruments. In addition,
rays in the Lissajous lens are not confined to planes. The lens can optionally
be designed such that no rays except those along coordinate axes form closed
trajectories, and conformal maps of the Lissajous lens form a rich new class of
optical instruments."

I'm probably gonna have to read the whole PDF 3 or more times just to understand
what it does  :O

Post a reply to this message

> Just because I found it, and someone needs to code up this sick new lens for
> POV-Ray  :)
>
> https://www.osapublishing.org/oe/abstract.cfm?uri=oe-23-5-5716
>

> "We propose a three dimensional optical instrument with an isotropic gradient
> index in which all ray trajectories form Lissajous curves. The lens represents
> the first absolute optical instrument discovered to exist without spherical
> symmetry (other than trivial cases such as the plane mirror or conformal maps of
> spherically-symmetric lenses). An important property of this lens is that a
> three-dimensional region of space can be imaged stigmatically with no
> aberrations, with a point and its image not necessarily lying on a straight line
> with the lens center as in all other absolute optical instruments. In addition,
> rays in the Lissajous lens are not confined to planes. The lens can optionally
> be designed such that no rays except those along coordinate axes form closed
> trajectories, and conformal maps of the Lissajous lens form a rich new class of
> optical instruments."
>
> I'm probably gonna have to read the whole PDF 3 or more times just to understand
> what it does  :O

I understood the first seven words perfectly, then my brain exploded ;-)

John
--
It's not about bravery.
It's about doing what I need to do to win

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 12 Sep 2016 14:16:23
Message: <57d6f0f7@news.povray.org>
Am 12.09.2016 um 18:47 schrieb Doctor John:

>> "We propose a three dimensional optical instrument with an isotropic gradient
>> index in which all ray trajectories form Lissajous curves. The lens represents
>> the first absolute optical instrument discovered to exist without spherical
>> symmetry (other than trivial cases such as the plane mirror or conformal maps of
>> spherically-symmetric lenses). [...]
>>
> I understood the first seven words perfectly, then my brain exploded ;-)

Your brain cut out at "with"? :P

I have a hunch though that even the combination of words 6 and 7 has a
somewhat different meaning than what we laymen might expect.

Those are scientists, mind you. Full-time nerds.

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 12 Sep 2016 14:50:21
Message: <57d6f8ed$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/09/16 19:16, clipka wrote:
> Am 12.09.2016 um 18:47 schrieb Doctor John:
>
>>> "We propose a three dimensional optical instrument with an isotropic gradient
>>> index in which all ray trajectories form Lissajous curves. The lens represents
>>> the first absolute optical instrument discovered to exist without spherical
>>> symmetry (other than trivial cases such as the plane mirror or conformal maps of
>>> spherically-symmetric lenses). [...]
>>>
>> I understood the first seven words perfectly, then my brain exploded ;-)
>
> Your brain cut out at "with"? :P

Pedant :-p

> I have a hunch though that even the combination of words 6 and 7 has a
> somewhat different meaning than what we laymen might expect.
>
> Those are scientists, mind you. Full-time nerds.

Very true.

John

From: Mike Horvath
Date: 12 Sep 2016 15:09:29
Message: <57d6fd69$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/12/2016 12:38 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Just because I found it, and someone needs to code up this sick new lens for
> POV-Ray  :)
>
> https://www.osapublishing.org/oe/abstract.cfm?uri=oe-23-5-5716
>

> "We propose a three dimensional optical instrument with an isotropic gradient
> index in which all ray trajectories form Lissajous curves. The lens represents
> the first absolute optical instrument discovered to exist without spherical
> symmetry (other than trivial cases such as the plane mirror or conformal maps of
> spherically-symmetric lenses). An important property of this lens is that a
> three-dimensional region of space can be imaged stigmatically with no
> aberrations, with a point and its image not necessarily lying on a straight line
> with the lens center as in all other absolute optical instruments. In addition,
> rays in the Lissajous lens are not confined to planes. The lens can optionally
> be designed such that no rays except those along coordinate axes form closed
> trajectories, and conformal maps of the Lissajous lens form a rich new class of
> optical instruments."
>
> I'm probably gonna have to read the whole PDF 3 or more times just to understand
> what it does  :O

  Can I attach one of these lenses to my iPhone?

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 12 Sep 2016 15:45:00
Message: <web.57d704f63a055422b488d9aa0@news.povray.org>

>   Can I attach one of these lenses to my iPhone?
>
> Mike

Yes.
Apple sells them for $1500, made out of 100% post-consumer recycled gelatin, and
encourages you to "See Different".