POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is POVRAY development still alive? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 10:56:18 EDT (-0400)
  Is POVRAY development still alive? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: jartim
Subject: Is POVRAY development still alive?
Date: 27 Aug 2016 13:55:01
Message: <web.57c1d332a29ea09a1518a2690@news.povray.org>
I apologise if this has been asked before or elsewhere, but as a long-time user
of Povray (I began when it was DKBTrace!) I was just wondering if there is any
on-going development happening? It seems a long time since V3.7 was released and
not much appears to happen on the web-site any more. Last thing I read, the
povray team had purchased the rights and source code to Moray, but nothing
appears to have happened on that front either? Just asking.

Post a reply to this message

> I apologise if this has been asked before or elsewhere, but as a long-time user
> of Povray (I began when it was DKBTrace!) I was just wondering if there is any
> on-going development happening? It seems a long time since V3.7 was released and
> not much appears to happen on the web-site any more. Last thing I read, the
> povray team had purchased the rights and source code to Moray, but nothing
> appears to have happened on that front either? Just asking.

We walk in a circle. We are fine!

Post a reply to this message

>> I apologise if this has been asked before or elsewhere, but as a long-time user
>> of Povray (I began when it was DKBTrace!) I was just wondering if there is any
>> on-going development happening? It seems a long time since V3.7 was released and
>> not much appears to happen on the web-site any more. Last thing I read, the
>> povray team had purchased the rights and source code to Moray, but nothing
>> appears to have happened on that front either? Just asking.

There is behind the scenes.

There are at least two branches developing that might be incorporated
into the next version.

> We walk in a circle. We are fine!

 From a different view, you spiral...

upwards?

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I apologise if this has been asked before or elsewhere, but as a long-time user
> of Povray (I began when it was DKBTrace!) I was just wondering if there is any
> on-going development happening? It seems a long time since V3.7 was released and
> not much appears to happen on the web-site any more. Last thing I read, the
> povray team had purchased the rights and source code to Moray, but nothing
> appears to have happened on that front either? Just asking.

Version 3.7.1 is available.
There are 2 main experimental/development branches: UberPOV and HGPov.
If you follow povray.beta-test, you can stay informed about the ongoing
development that is going on.

Post a reply to this message

No; 3.7.1 /development/ versions are available.

Post a reply to this message

> I apologise if this has been asked before or elsewhere, but as a long-time user
> of Povray (I began when it was DKBTrace!) I was just wondering if there is any
> on-going development happening? It seems a long time since V3.7 was released and
> not much appears to happen on the web-site any more. Last thing I read, the
> povray team had purchased the rights and source code to Moray, but nothing
> appears to have happened on that front either? Just asking.

The web site is somewhere between narcoleptic and comatose, but
development continues.

See https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray.

Post a reply to this message

> > I apologise if this has been asked before or elsewhere, but as a long-time user
> > of Povray (I began when it was DKBTrace!) I was just wondering if there is any
> > on-going development happening? It seems a long time since V3.7 was released and
> > not much appears to happen on the web-site any more. Last thing I read, the
> > povray team had purchased the rights and source code to Moray, but nothing
> > appears to have happened on that front either? Just asking.
>
> The web site is somewhere between narcoleptic and comatose, but
> development continues.
>
> See https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray.

It would probably be a good idea to add just a few lines on the web site to give
this information. A few years ago, I just ignored povray because the dead web
site suggested that the project was dying. I suppose that povray loses users
because of this.

I don't think that the web site  needs more activity (quality needs stability
!). But indicating that the project is alive seems desirable.

Post a reply to this message

> I don't think that the web site  needs more activity (quality needs stability
> !). But indicating that the project is alive seems desirable.

Better now?
http://www.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message