POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Null or empty object / mesh Server Time
1 May 2024 18:56:21 EDT (-0400)
  Null or empty object / mesh (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Null or empty object / mesh
Date: 22 Aug 2016 15:48:59
Message: <57bb572b@news.povray.org>
Am 22.08.2016 um 13:11 schrieb Mr:

> For the exporter from Blender to POV it is possible to have a mesh object from
> which the user will have deleted all vertices, this user may not be willing to
> add anthing to the scene, but we have to assume that he does it on purpose, and
> would indeed want to keep track of the transformations of some point, BUT he
> uses an interface and doesn't even want to know what a vector or a matrix is.
> Also, the transformations would have to happen through all the same operators as
> the standard geometry exported. because creating a particular case may have
> inconsistant results.

A vector won't fit your purpose, since you need different code to
transform it.

Given that the described use case doesn't leave a vertex to track, the
most fitting analogon would probably be an empty union.

> Would a declared vector be able to pass through all the transforms a mesh2
> object can ever go through? if so I was wrong and should use a vector, but if I
> HAVE to add a vtransform or anything that all standard geometry can't go
> through, then I can't use it, because it's not a mesh... but it's a mesh. :-)

Maybe what we should do is change the behaviour of the parser when it
encounters a mesh2, to issue "possible parse error" warnings instead of
outright errors when it encounters an empty list of faces or empty list
of indices.

Post a reply to this message

> > For the exporter from Blender to POV it is possible to have a mesh object from
> > which the user will have deleted all vertices, this user may not be willing to
> > add anthing to the scene, but we have to assume that he does it on purpose, and
> > would indeed want to keep track of the transformations of some point, BUT he
> > uses an interface and doesn't even want to know what a vector or a matrix is.
> > Also, the transformations would have to happen through all the same operators as
> > the standard geometry exported. because creating a particular case may have
> > inconsistant results.
>
> A vector won't fit your purpose, since you need different code to
> transform it.
>
> Given that the described use case doesn't leave a vertex to track, the
> most fitting analogon would probably be an empty union.
>
> > Would a declared vector be able to pass through all the transforms a mesh2
> > object can ever go through? if so I was wrong and should use a vector, but if I
> > HAVE to add a vtransform or anything that all standard geometry can't go
> > through, then I can't use it, because it's not a mesh... but it's a mesh. :-)
>
> Maybe what we should do is change the behaviour of the parser when it
> encounters a mesh2, to issue "possible parse error" warnings instead of
> outright errors when it encounters an empty list of faces or empty list
> of indices.

Don't bother, it's already fine with zerosphere, and also there are other non
geometrical objects called empties which wouldn't get exported as meshes, so I
used also zerosphere, counting on spheres to be the most tested and optimized
pov  objects :-)  I'm very happy with the direction pov/uberpov/hgpov, etc is
evolving! thanks youz ! :-)

Post a reply to this message