POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Flocking Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:33:54 EDT (-0400)
  Flocking (Message 1 to 10 of 25)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: Flocking
Date: 1 Jul 2016 19:15:00
Message: <web.5776f827627fb0fffd6b6fe10@news.povray.org>
Can anybody give ideas for a process which would simulate flocking?

Something like you might use on a diorama.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Flocking
Date: 1 Jul 2016 23:12:06
Message: <57773106$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/2/2016 12:10 AM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> Can anybody give ideas for a process which would simulate flocking?
>
> Something like you might use on a diorama.

A couple of years ago. Greg M. Johnson posted a couple of animations
using a boids algorithm for making flocking particles. There are a
couple of examples here.

http://www.reocities.com/pterandon/boids.html

I said a couple of years ago. The date on the website is 2000.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 7/2/2016 12:10 AM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> > Can anybody give ideas for a process which would simulate flocking?
> >
> > Something like you might use on a diorama.
> >

> A couple of years ago. Greg M. Johnson posted a couple of animations
> using a boids algorithm for making flocking particles. There are a
> couple of examples here.
>
> http://www.reocities.com/pterandon/boids.html

Thanks, I'll take a look.

> I said a couple of years ago. The date on the website is 2000.

Sometimes it's hard to believe I've been on this forum for 13 years...

And then I start to believe it, and I get depressed.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 2 Jul 2016 01:15:01
Message: <web.57774cb8706bc742fd6b6fe10@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> > On 7/2/2016 12:10 AM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> > > Can anybody give ideas for a process which would simulate flocking?
> > >
> > > Something like you might use on a diorama.
> > >

> > A couple of years ago. Greg M. Johnson posted a couple of animations
> > using a boids algorithm for making flocking particles. There are a
> > couple of examples here.
> >
> > http://www.reocities.com/pterandon/boids.html
> >

> Thanks, I'll take a look.
>
> > I said a couple of years ago. The date on the website is 2000.
> >
> Sometimes it's hard to believe I've been on this forum for 13 years...
>
> And then I start to believe it, and I get depressed.
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

On closer inspection, I think this is the wrong kind of Flocking.  I'm looking
for a flocking texture technique.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 2 Jul 2016 03:09:24
Message: <577768a4$1@news.povray.org>
On 2-7-2016 7:10, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> "Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
>> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

Not the same but maybe on-the-way-to. Would starting with a damascene
texture help? That can be done with a pigment_pattern. An example of use
(without the image_maps used):

#declare PR_DIFFUSE=p_map17; //a patterned image_map

#declare F1=
finish {
   specular 0.2431373
   roughness 0.00286312
   diffuse 0.6
   reflection{0 } conserve_energy
}

#declare F2=
finish {
   specular 0
   roughness 0.00286312
   diffuse 0.6
   reflection{0 } conserve_energy
}

#declare Damask_Red_1_=
material {
   texture {
     uv_mapping
     pigment_pattern {p_map18}	//the same image_map but reduced to grey
tones
     texture_map {
       [0 pigment {PR_DIFFUSE}
          finish {F2}
       ]
       [1 pigment{PR_DIFFUSE}
          finish {F1}
       ]
     }
   }
}

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 2 Jul 2016 05:34:45
Message: <57778ab5@news.povray.org>
On 7/2/2016 6:10 AM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> On closer inspection, I think this is the wrong kind of Flocking.  I'm looking
> for a flocking texture technique.

Well it was quite early in the morning for me.

Do you remember Rune's Fur texture from about the same time?

Last entry on the page.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 2 Jul 2016 05:40:22
Message: <57778c06$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/2/2016 8:09 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> damascene texture

Not often you slip up with your English.
Damask. :-P

I wonder if your texture can be combined with Rune's Fur Texture.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 2 Jul 2016 07:15:29
Message: <5777a251$1@news.povray.org>
On 2-7-2016 11:40, Stephen wrote:
>> damascene texture
>
> Not often you slip up with your English.
> Damask. :-P

It is confusing. Damask is certainly right, but damascene is also used
in this context. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascening and
especially 'Damascene in Toledo, Spain'.

> I wonder if your texture can be combined with Rune's Fur Texture.

I should revisit Rune's texture to be sure, but I suppose it should be
possible one way or another. I was thinking in the line of a contrast of
strong and weak (micro-) normals controlled by the pigment_pattern.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 2 Jul 2016 10:11:34
Message: <5777cb96$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/2/2016 12:15 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 2-7-2016 11:40, Stephen wrote:
>> On 7/2/2016 8:09 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>> damascene texture
>>
>> Not often you slip up with your English.
>> Damask. :-P
>
> It is confusing. Damask is certainly right, but damascene is also used
> in this context. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascening and
> especially 'Damascene in Toledo, Spain'.

True, true and true. But for cloth... ;)
My first thought on damascene is related to, "on the road to Damascus"
Checking up on my memory. I found the meaning of "damask cheek" as used
by Shakespeare. Rosy cheeked.

>> I wonder if your texture can be combined with Rune's Fur Texture.
>>

> I should revisit Rune's texture to be sure, but I suppose it should be
> possible one way or another. I was thinking in the line of a contrast of
> strong and weak (micro-) normals controlled by the pigment_pattern.

I like Rune's macro (attached). It is simple. :)

I took a look at your code but since Bishop3d does not support
pigment_pattern. I tied myself in knots with the syntax in Ver 3·62.
I'll try again when I am not doing six things at the same time. Soon
come. :)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'furtex.zip' (1 KB)

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Jul 2016 02:42:01
Message: <577b56b9$1@news.povray.org>
On 2-7-2016 16:11, Stephen wrote:
> On 7/2/2016 12:15 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>>
>>> Not often you slip up with your English.
>>> Damask. :-P
>>
>> It is confusing. Damask is certainly right, but damascene is also used
>> in this context. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascening and
>> especially 'Damascene in Toledo, Spain'.
>>

> True, true and true. But for cloth... ;)
> My first thought on damascene is related to, "on the road to Damascus"
> Checking up on my memory. I found the meaning of "damask cheek" as used
> by Shakespeare. Rosy cheeked.

You are absolutely right of course. 'Damask' should be used for cloth,
damascene for inlay work, but do we know what Anthony intends to do? ;-)

>>> I wonder if your texture can be combined with Rune's Fur Texture.
>>>

>> I should revisit Rune's texture to be sure, but I suppose it should be
>> possible one way or another. I was thinking in the line of a contrast of
>> strong and weak (micro-) normals controlled by the pigment_pattern.
>>

> I like Rune's macro (attached). It is simple. :)
>
> I took a look at your code but since Bishop3d does not support
> pigment_pattern. I tied myself in knots with the syntax in Ver 3·62.
> I'll try again when I am not doing six things at the same time. Soon
> come. :)

I am busy with something else now but I shall want to have a try too.

--
Thomas