POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cheap dual Xeon E5 2670 for rendering Server Time
28 Apr 2024 17:00:47 EDT (-0400)
  Cheap dual Xeon E5 2670 for rendering (Message 8 to 17 of 17)
From: IronMan
Subject: Re: Cheap dual Xeon E5 2670 for rendering
Date: 30 Apr 2016 12:10:00
Message: <web.5724d819e3847fb02347f4ce0@news.povray.org>
"jhu" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Doctor John <j.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > On 30/04/16 07:27, jhu wrote:
> > > All the parts finally arrived. This thing is a beast! The Povray 3.7.0 benchmark
> > > finishes in 56 seconds. The thing idles at 92 watts and pulls 310 watts fully
> > > loaded. Not bad at all.
> > >

> > Any special optimisation of the PoV compile or are you using the vanilla
> > version?
> >
> > John
> > --
> > Protect the Earth
> > It was not given to you by your parents
> > You hold it in trust for your children
>
> This is from the Debian repository.

Hi, I'm French and I've been playing with POV since the early 90's, and I've
just finished building a dual Xeon system based on thoses cheap chips found on
eBay ($135 for both... amazing...). I used an Asus Z9PA-D8 motherboard, a couple
of Cooler Master Hyper 212X, 32 Gb of regulard UDIMM DDR3 1600 from Crucial

POV, the result is below:

CPU time used: kernel 0.80 seconds, user 1992.38 seconds, total 1993.17 seconds.
Elapsed time 69.37 seconds, CPU vs elapsed time ratio 28.73.
Render averaged 3778.82 PPS (131.52 PPS CPU time) over 262144 pixels using 32
thread(s).

so, that's 3778.82 PPS average. Not bad I think.

Post a reply to this message

> Hi, I'm French and I've been playing with POV since the early 90's, and I've
> just finished building a dual Xeon system based on thoses cheap chips found on
> eBay ($135 for both... amazing...). I used an Asus Z9PA-D8 motherboard, a couple
> of Cooler Master Hyper 212X, 32 Gb of regulard UDIMM DDR3 1600 from Crucial

> POV, the result is below:
>
> CPU time used: kernel 0.80 seconds, user 1992.38 seconds, total 1993.17 seconds.
> Elapsed time 69.37 seconds, CPU vs elapsed time ratio 28.73.
> Render averaged 3778.82 PPS (131.52 PPS CPU time) over 262144 pixels using 32
> thread(s).
>
> so, that's 3778.82 PPS average. Not bad I think.

Welcome to the club! What OS are you using?

Post a reply to this message

> > Hi, I'm French and I've been playing with POV since the early 90's, and I've
> > just finished building a dual Xeon system based on thoses cheap chips found on
> > eBay ($135 for both... amazing...). I used an Asus Z9PA-D8 motherboard, a couple
> > of Cooler Master Hyper 212X, 32 Gb of regulard UDIMM DDR3 1600 from Crucial

> > POV, the result is below:
> >
> > CPU time used: kernel 0.80 seconds, user 1992.38 seconds, total 1993.17 seconds.
> > Elapsed time 69.37 seconds, CPU vs elapsed time ratio 28.73.
> > Render averaged 3778.82 PPS (131.52 PPS CPU time) over 262144 pixels using 32
> > thread(s).
> >
> > so, that's 3778.82 PPS average. Not bad I think.
>
> Welcome to the club! What OS are you using?

I'm currently using Windows 10 Pro x64. I guess I could squeeze a little more
juice using Linux. Windows 10 is improved though, as performance is better with
HT turned on than with it turned off. I think this was not always the case in
the past with older version of windows. Some people seem to render the bench in
Povray 10 seconds faster under linux.
But, hey, I already get almost 100.000 MB/s memory bandwidth up from 24.000 on
an i7 3770K@4 Ghz, so I guess for this kind of money, the game was worth the
candle!
I remember rendering some scenes back in 1994 on a 386DX without a math
coprocessor, that would litterally take ages, now, the same scene renders in
just 2 seconds on the Dual Xeon rig... yep, we've come a long way...  ;-)

Post a reply to this message