POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Simulating projector Server Time
30 Apr 2024 21:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Simulating projector (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: nyholku
Subject: Simulating projector
Date: 13 Jan 2016 10:50:00
Message: <web.5696717811b5ae2cba8737420@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm fairly new to povray but otherwise not a noobie.

I'm trying to simulate a confocal imaging system where I have a pattern that
will be projected through a lens to a surface (and in the next phase project
the projected pattern from the target  back through the same lens and a half
transparent mirror  to an other surface (sensor).

Something like in this sketch:

http://www.eazycnc.com/temp/sketch.png

I've created all the parts and individually they seem to be alright, however the
'photon mapping' is not working.

To debug I've simplified the setup to just a spot light source that illuminates
the pattern and a surface on which the light from that pattern should be
visible.

The illuminated pattern (Source in the code) looks like this when rendered in
povray:

http://www.eazycnc.com/temp/pic1.png

And the surface (Target) that is supposed to shine some of this pattern's light
looks like this:

http://www.eazycnc.com/temp/pic2.png

The code can be downloaded from here:

http://www.eazycnc.com/temp/lens2.pov

In the pic2 the source pattern can be seen through specular reflection but if I
turn on the diffuse reflection and turn off the specular reflection then the
'Target' is just black where as I think it should 'glow/reflect' some green
light (of course it should not show the patter because the lens is not there
yet).

So what am I doing wrong, or is this a wrong approach or is povray the wrong
tool for this?

Post a reply to this message

> I'm fairly new to povray but otherwise not a noobie.
>
> I'm trying to simulate a confocal imaging system where I have a pattern that
> will be projected through a lens to a surface (and in the next phase project
> the projected pattern from the target  back through the same lens and a half
> transparent mirror  to an other surface (sensor).
>
> Something like in this sketch:
>
> http://www.eazycnc.com/temp/sketch.png
>

> I've created all the parts and individually they seem to be alright, however the
> 'photon mapping' is not working.
>
> To debug I've simplified the setup to just a spot light source that illuminates
> the pattern and a surface on which the light from that pattern should be
> visible.
>
> The illuminated pattern (Source in the code) looks like this when rendered in
> povray:
>
> http://www.eazycnc.com/temp/pic1.png
>
> And the surface (Target) that is supposed to shine some of this pattern's light
> looks like this:
>
> http://www.eazycnc.com/temp/pic2.png
>
> The code can be downloaded from here:
>
> http://www.eazycnc.com/temp/lens2.pov
>
> In the pic2 the source pattern can be seen through specular reflection but if I
> turn on the diffuse reflection and turn off the specular reflection then the
> 'Target' is just black where as I think it should 'glow/reflect' some green
> light (of course it should not show the patter because the lens is not there
> yet).
>
> So what am I doing wrong, or is this a wrong approach or is povray the wrong
> tool for this?

Your first link is dead. There is no sketch.

Mike

Post a reply to this message