POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : stretching texture/surface over a shape Server Time
15 May 2024 15:16:23 EDT (-0400)
  stretching texture/surface over a shape (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Dudo
Subject: stretching texture/surface over a shape
Date: 7 Jul 2015 10:15:01
Message: <web.559bde67d2798c402571926e0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

plz, can you suggest a way how to stretch a pattern or surface of a complicated
shape.

in my case, i have a sphere sweep object. and I would like to stretch and twist
a surface on it, similarly as a sock or stocking would twist and deform, and i
would like to generate pictures of a given distortion a make a movie from it.

it should show for example stretching checker pattern on a given surface. for
simplicity it might be also a rod or cylinder at first.

Thanks in advance for every suggestion :-)

Post a reply to this message

> plz, can you suggest a way how to stretch a pattern or surface of a complicated
> shape.
>
> in my case, i have a sphere sweep object. and I would like to stretch and twist
> a surface on it, similarly as a sock or stocking would twist and deform, and i
> would like to generate pictures of a given distortion a make a movie from it.
>
> it should show for example stretching checker pattern on a given surface. for
> simplicity it might be also a rod or cylinder at first.
>
> Thanks in advance for every suggestion :-)

IIRC Le Forgeron has developed a patch for POV-Ray that gives you UV
mapping on sphere sweeps.

As for cylinders, you can do UV mapping on them, too. Or use cylindrical
warp, but you won't be able to extend that to sphere sweeps.