POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : reflection transform operation? Server Time
15 May 2024 15:07:27 EDT (-0400)
  reflection transform operation? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: peyrol
Subject: reflection transform operation?
Date: 20 Jun 2015 02:00:07
Message: <web.5585011b869d3d2781ceb5430@news.povray.org>
I can translate, scale, rotate, and do a matrix transform on any object. Why not
reflect? It would certainly save time and reduce potential error for me. Is
there a way to configure a matrix that would reflect an object through the plane
at x=0 for example? If there is a way, I hope the method is included in the
reference section for matrix. Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

> I can translate, scale, rotate, and do a matrix transform on any object.
> Why not reflect? It would certainly save time and reduce potential error
> for me. Is there a way to configure a matrix that would reflect an object
> through the plane at x=0 for example? If there is a way, I hope the method
> is included in the reference section for matrix. Thanks.

I think that

object { Thingy scale < -1, 1, 1> }

would work for you.
--

Ger

Post a reply to this message

> I can translate, scale, rotate, and do a matrix transform on any object. Why not
> reflect? It would certainly save time and reduce potential error for me. Is
> there a way to configure a matrix that would reflect an object through the plane
> at x=0 for example? If there is a way, I hope the method is included in the
> reference section for matrix. Thanks.

Scaling by a negative value will reflect the object, or pattern, along
that axis.
scale <-1,1,1> will reflect the object left to right, and scale <1,-1,1>
will reflect it verticaly.
For a matrix transform, any negative value will work the same.

Post a reply to this message

> > I can translate, scale, rotate, and do a matrix transform on any object. Why not
> > reflect? It would certainly save time and reduce potential error for me. Is
> > there a way to configure a matrix that would reflect an object through the plane
> > at x=0 for example? If there is a way, I hope the method is included in the
> > reference section for matrix. Thanks.
> >

> Scaling by a negative value will reflect the object, or pattern, along
> that axis.
> scale <-1,1,1> will reflect the object left to right, and scale <1,-1,1>
> will reflect it verticaly.
> For a matrix transform, any negative value will work the same.

Good.