POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render Speed: Boxes Server Time
19 May 2024 12:11:34 EDT (-0400)
  Render Speed: Boxes (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Sven Littkowski
Subject: Render Speed: Boxes
Date: 30 Mar 2015 10:10:01
Message: <web.55195894e441f2ad5189b500@news.povray.org>
Hi.

What renders faster on POV-Ray 3.7? A union of boxes, or a difference of boxes
resulting in boxes? Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Render Speed: Boxes
Date: 30 Mar 2015 14:25:56
Message: <55199534$1@news.povray.org>
Am 30.03.2015 um 16:07 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
> Hi.
>
> What renders faster on POV-Ray 3.7? A union of boxes, or a difference of boxes
> resulting in boxes? Thanks.

My bet would be on the union, but I suggest to test for yourself.

Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Date: 30 Mar 2015 15:35:01
Message: <web.5519a46aab797ae3c873a3700@news.povray.org>
> Am 30.03.2015 um 16:07 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
> > Hi.
> >
> > What renders faster on POV-Ray 3.7? A union of boxes, or a difference of boxes
> > resulting in boxes? Thanks.
>
> My bet would be on the union, but I suggest to test for yourself.

I would bet on the union too, but in this case - especially in the case of boxes
-  you should not consider the parse and render time only. You should consider
what approach causes more brain damage to write down the union or difference
version of your desired object too.

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

Very true. I am sitting for hours in front of all that code. Brain smoking,
indeed! .-D