POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Strange behavior Server Time
2 Jun 2024 06:33:39 EDT (-0400)
  Strange behavior (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: Strange behavior
Date: 15 Jan 2015 22:10:00
Message: <web.54b87fbda54f2dcbd92286f0@news.povray.org>
Say I have a macro that returns values:

#macro someMacroReturningAValue(params)
    #local _RESULT = foo;
    // do stuff here...
    _RESULT
#end

I can use this macro in a computation, thusly:

object { bar translate someMacroReturningAValue(params)*x }

but I cannot set the macro as the rValue of a declaration, like so:

#declare blah = someMacroReturningAValue(params);

because povray doesn't see the semicolon at the end of the declaration.  I can
add the semicolon inside the macro, and the declaration works, but the first
usage breaks.

in order to make the declaration work without breaking the first usage, I have
to encapsulate the macro call in parentheses:

#declare blah = (someMacroReturningAValue(params));

Which, obviously, forces the macro to be evaluated first, but I have no idea why
it makes a difference, and it makes for a very confusing error.

Any explanations?

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

On 16/01/2015 03:04, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> Say I have a macro that returns values:
>
> #macro someMacroReturningAValue(params)
>      #local _RESULT = foo;
>      // do stuff here...
>      _RESULT
> #end
>
> I can use this macro in a computation, thusly:
>
> object { bar translate someMacroReturningAValue(params)*x }
>
> but I cannot set the macro as the rValue of a declaration, like so:
>
> #declare blah = someMacroReturningAValue(params);

The below code runs fine here, does it work ok on your installation?
What are you doing differently (eg what is "params" defined as?). Can
you produce just a few lines that others can run to reproduce the problem?

#macro someMacroReturningAValue(params)
     #local _RESULT = params * 2;
     _RESULT
#end
#local p = 1;
#declare blah = someMacroReturningAValue(p);

Post a reply to this message

> On 16/01/2015 03:04, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> > Say I have a macro that returns values:
> >
> > #macro someMacroReturningAValue(params)
> >      #local _RESULT = foo;
> >      // do stuff here...
> >      _RESULT
> > #end
> >
> > I can use this macro in a computation, thusly:
> >
> > object { bar translate someMacroReturningAValue(params)*x }
> >
> > but I cannot set the macro as the rValue of a declaration, like so:
> >
> > #declare blah = someMacroReturningAValue(params);
>
> The below code runs fine here, does it work ok on your installation?
> What are you doing differently (eg what is "params" defined as?). Can
> you produce just a few lines that others can run to reproduce the problem?
>
> #macro someMacroReturningAValue(params)
>      #local _RESULT = params * 2;
>      _RESULT
> #end
> #local p = 1;
> #declare blah = someMacroReturningAValue(p);

hallo

this fail

#declare rndx=seed(123);
#macro rnr(nrx,mii,mxx)
 #if(mii>=0)
   (rand(nrx)*(mxx-mii+1)) + mii
 #else
   mii+(mxx-mii)*rand(nrx) /////////  LINE 40
 #end
#end

#local d=0;
#local d=rnr(rndx,-20,20);

 line 40: Parse Error: All
 #declares of float, vector, and color require semi-colon ';' at end if the
 language version is set to 3.5 or higher. Either add the semi-colon or set the
 language version to 3.1 or lower.
Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
Render failed

this work ok

#declare rndx=seed(123);
#macro rnr(nrx,mii,mxx)