POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "Browsing" the newsgroups Server Time
1 Jun 2024 10:58:07 EDT (-0400)
  "Browsing" the newsgroups (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: "Browsing" the newsgroups
Date: 26 Nov 2014 11:20:01
Message: <web.5475fd88109b5e095e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
Is there a good way to browse through the newsgroups - I'm primarily thinking
about:

A way to sift through ALL of the images posted - back to the very beginning,

Listing all the attachments ever uploaded (scene files, macros, etc.)

and related to that, a good way to "jump" to a specific date or topic when
something is discussed in a non-attachment thread and the files are them posted
over in another attachment-enabled thread?

And, on that note - I've often wondered just how much storage space does
news.povray.org take up???   :O

Post a reply to this message

> Is there a good way to browse through the newsgroups - I'm primarily thinking
> about:
>
> A way to sift through ALL of the images posted - back to the very beginning,

A good start might be this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:news.povray.org&tbm=isch

Under Search Tools you can set the date range.

> Listing all the attachments ever uploaded (scene files, macros, etc.)
>
> and related to that, a good way to "jump" to a specific date or topic when
> something is discussed in a non-attachment thread and the files are them posted
> over in another attachment-enabled thread?

How good are you at writing scripts/code? The NNTP protocol isn't that
complicated... :-)

Post a reply to this message

> Is there a good way to browse through the newsgroups - I'm primarily thinking
> about:
>
> A way to sift through ALL of the images posted - back to the very beginning,
>
> Listing all the attachments ever uploaded (scene files, macros, etc.)
>
> and related to that, a good way to "jump" to a specific date or topic when
> something is discussed in a non-attachment thread and the files are them posted
> over in another attachment-enabled thread?
>
> And, on that note - I've often wondered just how much storage space does
> news.povray.org take up???   :O

I like to use Thunderbird to search the groups.

If you want to actually pick through and display only the images, what you need
is a crawler, and depending on how the website has it's permissions set up (esp.
w/r/t robots) this could be problematic.

OTOH... You could just try google.

search for all results from news.povray.org like so:

Search term: "site:news.povray.org"

then click the images link.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> > Is there a good way to browse through the newsgroups - I'm primarily thinking
> > about:
> >
> > A way to sift through ALL of the images posted - back to the very beginning,
> >
> > Listing all the attachments ever uploaded (scene files, macros, etc.)
> >
> > and related to that, a good way to "jump" to a specific date or topic when
> > something is discussed in a non-attachment thread and the files are them posted
> > over in another attachment-enabled thread?
> >
> > And, on that note - I've often wondered just how much storage space does
> > news.povray.org take up???   :O
>
> I like to use Thunderbird to search the groups.
>
> If you want to actually pick through and display only the images, what you need
> is a crawler, and depending on how the website has it's permissions set up (esp.
> w/r/t robots) this could be problematic.
>
> OTOH... You could just try google.
>
> search for all results from news.povray.org like so:
>
> Search term: "site:news.povray.org"
>
> then click the images link.
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

Further experimentation has shown that you can't use the Time limiter on the
search engine, but you can search by year:

Search term: "1999 site:news.povray.org"

--> images

Or you can limit it to a given month:

"Mar 2001 site:news.povray.org"

Happy hunting.