POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plot 3d surface for math funtion Server Time
5 Jul 2024 11:43:55 EDT (-0400)
  Plot 3d surface for math funtion (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: xslittlegrass
Subject: Plot 3d surface for math funtion
Date: 2 Jun 2014 00:00:01
Message: <web.538bf59667911eab4277cb5c0@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to use POV-Ray to plot some mathematical 3d functions, and I can make
a simple plot of the function, but I don't know how to make it look beautiful.

For example, I'm trying to plot this function

y=Sin(x)*Cos(z)

using this code:

isosurface {
function { sin(x)*sin(z)-y }
        accuracy 0.001
        contained_by{box{-2*pi,2*pi}} open
        max_gradient 5
        pigment {rgb .9}
}
camera {
  location <10,10,10>
  look_at   <0.0, 0.0,  0.0>
}

light_source { <50,50,50> 1 }
background { rgb <0,.25,.5> }

and I can get a result look like this
http://imgur.com/jxElYiI

but how can we make it look like this

http://www.mitchr.me/SS/mjrcalc/lispy/exPovWaveGraph-ART_p.png

Any suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to use POV-Ray to plot some mathematical 3d functions, and I can make
> a simple plot of the function, but I don't know how to make it look beautiful.
>
> For example, I'm trying to plot this function
>
> y=Sin(x)*Cos(z)
>
> using this code:
>
> isosurface {
> function { sin(x)*sin(z)-y }
>         accuracy 0.001
>         contained_by{box{-2*pi,2*pi}} open
>         max_gradient 5
>         pigment {rgb .9}
> }
> camera {
>   location <10,10,10>
>   look_at   <0.0, 0.0,  0.0>
> }
>
> light_source { <50,50,50> 1 }
> background { rgb <0,.25,.5> }
>
> and I can get a result look like this
> http://imgur.com/jxElYiI
>
> but how can we make it look like this
>
> http://www.mitchr.me/SS/mjrcalc/lispy/exPovWaveGraph-ART_p.png
>
> Any suggestions and comments are appreciated.

You can use a scaled and translated gradient Pigment with a Color_map. Something
like this

#include "colors.inc"

isosurface {
function { sin(x)*sin(z)-y }
        accuracy 0.001
        contained_by{box{-2*pi,2*pi}} open
        max_gradient 5
        pigment {
           gradient y
           color_map {
              [ 0 Blue ]
              [ 0.5 Green ]
              [ 1 Red ]
           }
           scale 2.02 // a Little bit larger than the object
           translate <0,-1.01,0>
        }
}
camera {
  location <10,10,10>
  look_at   <0.0, 0.0,  0.0>
}

light_source { <50,50,50> 1 }
background { rgb <0,.25,.5> }

May be you will add additional entries to the Color_map.

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

Does Povray have predefined color functions so that we can use them instead of
manually set the color function every time? for example, commonly used color
function such as
hue, temperature map, jet, etc?

Best,
xslittlegrass