POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photons in a 3D-Volume Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  Photons in a 3D-Volume (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Harasz
Subject: Photons in a 3D-Volume
Date: 5 Nov 2013 06:35:00
Message: <web.5278d67719355944816562860@news.povray.org>
after rendering my first Photon-Maps with Povray i wondered how it would look
like, if the Photons dont just "land" on a 2d-Surface (like a Plane) but to
interact with a 3d-Volume, like a media

at first a normal 2d-Photon-map of a bumped spehre
http://www.wg-ffhm.de/povray/photons1-iso-100mio.png

well i testet the pov-ray-media with very bad results, my patience might be very
bad too ;) so i decided to approximate this by many transparent parallel planes
on wich the Photons are collected

second picture: the concept of slicing the 3d-space, you can't see the planes
themselves, but the photons from the lense landing on them:
http://www.wg-ffhm.de/povray/photons1-lense-layer.png
you might recognize the trumpet-like cone of the caustic-space behind the lense

now my object of interest: a bumbed sphere
function{  f_sphere(x, y, z, 1.8) - (-f_snoise3d(x*1.5, y*1, z*1)*2.25) }

the picture shows the object itself (wich will be hidden in future pics) and a
sliced caustic-space behind it
http://www.wg-ffhm.de/povray/photons1-lay10.png

here a preview-like animation (object is hidden)
low Quality AVI (2 MB):
http://www.wg-ffhm.de/povray/photonsAnim1-LQ.avi
high Quality AVI (16.8 MB):
http://www.wg-ffhm.de/povray/photonsAnim1-HQ.avi