POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : text object: utf8 ttf font? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  text object: utf8 ttf font? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: David J Bush
Subject: text object: utf8 ttf font?
Date: 11 May 2012 14:55:01
Message: <web.4fad5f363fe7238e6891e8c0@news.povray.org>
I have version 3.6 runnng under Debian 64 bit. I want to be able to create text

from German. I have been informed the utf8 code for this symbol is 50079 in
decimal. I understand about the global_settings { charset utf8 } command. I use
the line of code

text { ttf "cyrvetic.ttf", concat("text before", chr(50079), "text after") ...

Apparently, the supplied fonts crystal.ttf, cyrvetic.ttf, and timrom.ttf are all
ASCII. Where can I find a utf8 True Type font to add to the
/usr/share/povray/include directory? Are there any tweaks necessary to make it
work?

Any clue would be appreciated. Thanks for your patience.

Post a reply to this message

Le 11/05/2012 20:49, David J Bush nous fit lire :
> I have version 3.6 runnng under Debian 64 bit. I want to be able to create text
> objects using Latin characters. In particular, I want to generate the ß symbol
> from German. I have been informed the utf8 code for this symbol is 50079 in
> decimal. I understand about the global_settings { charset utf8 } command. I use
> the line of code
>
> text { ttf "cyrvetic.ttf", concat("text before", chr(50079), "text after") ...
>
> Apparently, the supplied fonts crystal.ttf, cyrvetic.ttf, and timrom.ttf are all
> ASCII. Where can I find a utf8 True Type font to add to the
> /usr/share/povray/include directory? Are there any tweaks necessary to make it
> work?
>
> Any clue would be appreciated. Thanks for your patience.

use fontforge to check that glyph U+00DF is available in your candidat font.

U+00DF is UTF-8 0xC39F (aka 50079 in base 10)

One of the largest font (in range) is arialuni.ttf, made by Microsoft.

Post a reply to this message