POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : .pov and .ini differences Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  .pov and .ini differences (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: jcarlos
Subject: .pov and .ini differences
Date: 21 Nov 2011 17:05:00
Message: <web.4ecaca281e880ce723096ba30@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I have a scene which renders well when I select to render the .pov file. I have
now created an .ini file to render the scene repositioning the camera using the
animation functionalities.

I am finding that when I render from the .ini file the scene is much darker. I
thought that the Display_Gamma and File_Gamma in the .ini file were causing that
but I tried removing all the lines from the .ini file (except Input_File_Name)
and the result is still much darker.

I am almost sure that I am doing something wrong with gamma correction. In the
scene, I am using "assumed_gamma 1" in the global_settings section and it is set
up for version 3.7. I am using radiosity and media.

I will appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks,
...JC

Post a reply to this message

> I have a scene which renders well when I select to render the .pov file. I have
> now created an .ini file to render the scene repositioning the camera using the
> animation functionalities.
>
> I am finding that when I render from the .ini file the scene is much darker. I
> thought that the Display_Gamma and File_Gamma in the .ini file were causing that
> but I tried removing all the lines from the .ini file (except Input_File_Name)
> and the result is still much darker.

That is very... strange.

> I am almost sure that I am doing something wrong with gamma correction. In the
> scene, I am using "assumed_gamma 1" in the global_settings section and it is set
> up for version 3.7. I am using radiosity and media.

Gamma correction is a good bet, though I have currently no idea what's
going on there.

What operating system are you using?

Are you usually rendering the .pov file from within the GUI? Are you
rendering from the .ini file from within the GUI as well?

Post a reply to this message