POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thought for future pattern type - array Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:23 EDT (-0400)
  Thought for future pattern type - array (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Thought for future pattern type - array
Date: 18 Mar 2011 17:02:57
Message: <4d83c881@news.povray.org>
> > I came across this idea as I am currently doing this the long way: export array
> > to df3, then read as density_file.  Would be much easier to cut out the middle
> > step somehow.

> Your prior postings already had me thinking about that, too. Should be
> pretty straightforward to implement - I guess the biggest problem would
> be to decide on a syntax ;-)

  Perhaps something similar to how you can construct a heightfield from
a function without having to use a temporary file?

  In fact, this principle could be applied to many other things, such as
creating image maps procedurally without having to create an image file.

  (Of course all this should be achievable trivially in the hypothetical
scripting language of POV-Ray 4, but it seems that that issue has been more
or less put to rest for the foreseeable future, as there will be no such
new scripting language anytime soon, and instead the current language will
be kept being expanded for a long time.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message