POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help with cutaway_textures Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:30:53 EDT (-0400)
  Help with cutaway_textures (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: Help with cutaway_textures
Date: 20 Dec 2010 22:03:25
Message: <4d1018fd@news.povray.org>

> clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:
>> Am 18.12.2010 02:59, schrieb Jim Holsenback:
>>
>>> could this be the same behavior that was covered in this tag:
>>> http://bugs.povray.org/task/115
>>
>> No, it's actually just the opposite. Though they're closely related.
>>
>> Gee, this cutaway thing is more complicated than I was just thinking.
>
> I had a look at task115 and I found that I could get correct rendering if I
> moved the final application of orange to the difference only (the walls.)  I
> think that the orange may have been applied to the fillet since no texture was
> explicitly applied to it and the orange was applied to the entire final union.
> Interestingly, I would have expected the orange to override all the textures in
> the final union but I guess that is not the case!
>
> I'm still not sure how to work around the problem I am having. :/

Whenever you provide an overall texture to any CSG, it apply only to
whatever component don't have any individual texture.

Whatever texture is applied to a component always override any "global"
texture.

cutaway_textures is suposed to return the texture of the cut object,
and, if you have 2 or more objects overlaping, the result is the average
of the individual textures.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> > clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:

> >> No, it's actually just the opposite. Though they're closely related.
> >>
> >> Gee, this cutaway thing is more complicated than I was just thinking.
> >
> > I had a look at task115 and I found that I could get correct rendering if I
> > moved the final application of orange to the difference only (the walls.)  I
> > think that the orange may have been applied to the fillet since no texture was
> > explicitly applied to it and the orange was applied to the entire final union.
> > Interestingly, I would have expected the orange to override all the textures in
> > the final union but I guess that is not the case!
> >
> > I'm still not sure how to work around the problem I am having. :/
> >

> Whenever you provide an overall texture to any CSG, it apply only to
> whatever component don't have any individual texture.
>
> Whatever texture is applied to a component always override any "global"
> texture.
>
> cutaway_textures is suposed to return the texture of the cut object,
> and, if you have 2 or more objects overlaping, the result is the average
> of the individual textures.
>

> Alain

Thanks.  That makes sense to me.

Should I be filing a bug report or something for my original problem (an
intersection with a union does not show the cutaway textures?)  I have not yet
found a reasonable workaround.

Cheers,
Mike

Post a reply to this message

Am 21.12.2010 04:17, schrieb Solar Mike:

> Should I be filing a bug report or something for my original problem (an
> intersection with a union does not show the cutaway textures?)  I have not yet
> found a reasonable workaround.

A report has already been filed. See http://bugs.povray.org/task/183.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 21.12.2010 04:17, schrieb Solar Mike:
>
> > Should I be filing a bug report or something for my original problem (an
> > intersection with a union does not show the cutaway textures?)  I have not yet
> > found a reasonable workaround.
>
> A report has already been filed. See http://bugs.povray.org/task/183.

Thanks! :)