POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Eclipse Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:30:55 EDT (-0400)
  Eclipse (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: quoderatd
Subject: Eclipse
Date: 13 Jul 2010 16:30:01
Message: <web.4c3ccc2072e80d2399c7231c0@news.povray.org>
http://chandrakantha.com/articles/indian_music/filmi_sangeet/media/1995_Solar_Eclipse2.jpg

How would I generate a scene with an eclipse?

I am aware of medias but can it represent a corona well?

Post a reply to this message

From: Christian Froeschlin
Subject: Re: Eclipse
Date: 13 Jul 2010 18:54:10
Message: <4c3cee92$1@news.povray.org>
quoderatd wrote:

> How would I generate a scene with an eclipse?
>
> I am aware of medias but can it represent a corona well?

Emissive media should be fine. The trick will be to find a
density function which matches the structure of the corona.

Here is a little something to get you started. It uses two
densities, one for spherical structure and one for radial
structure (the latter is actually cheating because it is
actually modelling a cylindrical radial structure and
not a spherical corona).

#include "colors.inc"
#include "functions.inc"

global_settings
{
   assumed_gamma 1.0
}

camera
{
   location  <0.0, 0.0, -5.0>
   look_at   <0.0, 0.0,  0.0>
   angle 90
}

sphere {0,1 pigment {color Black}} // "Moon"

sphere // "Corona"
{
   0,1 hollow
   pigment {color rgbt 1}
   interior
   {
     media
     {
       emission 0.15
       density
       {
         //function {f_spherical(x,y,z)}
         function {max(0,f_spherical(x,y,z) - 0.15*f_agate(2*x,2*y,2*z))}
         color_map
         {
           [0    color Black]
           [0.20 color rgb <0.2,0.5,1>]
           [0.33 color White]
         }
       }
       density
       {
         #local my_f_radial = function {pattern {radial frequency 30}}
         function {my_f_radial(x,y,z)}
         rotate 90*x
         color_map
         {