POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request POV-Ray port for Haiku (open BeOS) Server Time
19 Mar 2024 03:02:47 EDT (-0400)
  Request POV-Ray port for Haiku (open BeOS) (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: AndrewZ
Subject: Request POV-Ray port for Haiku (open BeOS)
Date: 28 May 2010 19:55:00
Message: <web.4c005792124e57a359bdc7710@news.povray.org>
Hi Folks,

I would like to formally request a version of POV-Ray for the Haiku operating
system. Haiku is the open source version of BeOS:
http://www.haiku-os.org/
There was a version 3.5 of POV-Ray for BeOS but it is old and doesn't provide
real time viewing. It will likely not require much port to POV to Haiku as Haiku
is very BeOS compatible. Haiku is now stable and has a pretty decent development
environment: http://www.osnews.com/story/22903/Writing_Applications_for_Haiku
We would love to rejoin the POV-Ray community if someone would like to lend a
hand and assist with a port.

Many thanks,
AndrewZ

Post a reply to this message

> I would like to formally request a version of POV-Ray for the Haiku operating
> system. Haiku is the open source version of BeOS:
> http://www.haiku-os.org/
> There was a version 3.5 of POV-Ray for BeOS but it is old and doesn't provide
> real time viewing. It will likely not require much port to POV to Haiku as Haiku
> is very BeOS compatible. Haiku is now stable and has a pretty decent development
> environment: http://www.osnews.com/story/22903/Writing_Applications_for_Haiku
> We would love to rejoin the POV-Ray community if someone would like to lend a
> hand and assist with a port.
>
> Many thanks,
> AndrewZ

Hi,

You have the system, so why not give povray3.7beta source for unix a try
about any compilation issue ?
As far as I known, you will need the boost-libraries (in dev format),
and probably some other common libraries (jpeg/png/pthread... supports),
and a gnu-compatible compiling line (make, c++,...)

just like another unix/linux for povray.

>> I would like to formally request a version of POV-Ray for the Haiku operating
>> system. Haiku is the open source version of BeOS:
>
> You have the system, so why not give povray3.7beta source for unix a try
> about any compilation issue ?
>
> From your page, it seems haiku claim posix compliance, so it should look
> just like another unix/linux for povray.

While Haiku may be posix compliant, pov isn't it uses the GNU TLS
extension (i.e. __thread) so an Haiku port will have to support that too
or work around it.

It's really annoying, it stops me from compiling the linux source on OSX.

Dave

P.S. I'm the bloke who compiled POV-Ray 3.5 for BeOS on Be Bits
(http://www.bebits.com/app/2982). Does it run on Haiku ?

Post a reply to this message