POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : scattering media oddities Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  scattering media oddities (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Kai
Subject: scattering media oddities
Date: 14 Mar 2010 13:55:01
Message: <web.4b9d2163e007c332ebb0f1fc0@news.povray.org>
To model a foam plastic object (like
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Haushaltsschwaemme.jpg ) I tried a
appropriate surface texture combined with a dense scattered media.

The results are good, except when some feature is placed in the foam object.
Such a feature should only be visible on a very short distance below the
surface, but it's visible throughout the whole object. I've tracked down this
issue to the scattering media.

In the following sample scene the blue cylinder should disappear quickly, but
it's visible through the whole media filled box. If the box is divided into
parts (just set fogDivisions > 1), the visibility issue get's better. With
subdivisions one get's band artifacts, however, and for more complex objects
this wouldn't be of much help anyhow. I'm using povray Unix 3.6.1.

Are there better alternatives to model this case?

#include "colors.inc"

#declare aR = 0.15;

#declare fogDepth = 10;
#declare fogDivisions = 1; // 1, 2, 4, 8

camera {
   location <15, 15, -25>
   look_at  <0, 5,  0>
   angle 45
}

light_source {
   <60, 50, -40>, color White
   parallel
   point_at <0, 5, 0>
}

plane {
   y, 0
   texture {
      pigment {
  color White
      }
      finish {
  ambient aR
  diffuse 0.6
      }
   }
}

#declare M_fog =
material {
   texture { pigment { color rgbf <1,1,1,1> } }
   interior {
      media {
  scattering { 1,
     White*0.8
  }
      }
   }
}

#declare i = 0;
#declare fogStep = fogDepth/fogDivisions;
#while(i < fogDivisions)
   box {
      <-5, 0.01, -5 + i*fogStep>, <10, 13, -5 + (i+1)*fogStep - 0.01>
      hollow
      material { M_fog }
   }
#declare i = i + 1;
#end

cylinder {
   <-4, 5,-8>, <-4, 5, 50>, 1
   texture {
      pigment { color <0.5, 0.5, 1> }
      finish { diffuse 0.6 ambient aR }
   }
}

Post a reply to this message

> appropriate surface texture combined with a dense scattered media.
>
> The results are good, except when some feature is placed in the foam object.
> Such a feature should only be visible on a very short distance below the
> surface, but it's visible throughout the whole object. I've tracked down this
> issue to the scattering media.
>
> In the following sample scene the blue cylinder should disappear quickly, but
> it's visible through the whole media filled box. If the box is divided into
> parts (just set fogDivisions>  1), the visibility issue get's better. With
> subdivisions one get's band artifacts, however, and for more complex objects
> this wouldn't be of much help anyhow. I'm using povray Unix 3.6.1.
>
> Are there better alternatives to model this case?
>

> #include "colors.inc"
>
> #declare aR = 0.15;
>
> #declare fogDepth = 10;
> #declare fogDivisions = 1; // 1, 2, 4, 8
>
> camera {
>     location<15, 15, -25>
>     look_at<0, 5,  0>
>     angle 45
> }
>
> light_source {
>     <60, 50, -40>, color White
>     parallel
>     point_at<0, 5, 0>
> }
>
> plane {
>     y, 0
>     texture {
>        pigment {
>    color White
>        }
>        finish {
>    ambient aR
>    diffuse 0.6
>        }
>     }
> }
>
> #declare M_fog =
> material {
>     texture { pigment { color rgbf<1,1,1,1>  } }
>     interior {
>        media {
>    scattering { 1,
>       White*0.8
>    }
>        }
>     }
> }
>
> #declare i = 0;
> #declare fogStep = fogDepth/fogDivisions;
> #while(i<  fogDivisions)
>     box {
>        <-5, 0.01, -5 + i*fogStep>,<10, 13, -5 + (i+1)*fogStep - 0.01>
>        hollow
>        material { M_fog }
>     }
> #declare i = i + 1;
> #end
>
> cylinder {
>     <-4, 5,-8>,<-4, 5, 50>, 1
>     texture {
>        pigment { color<0.5, 0.5, 1>  }
>        finish { diffuse 0.6 ambient aR }
>     }
> }

You want to model a lump of foam, but you model a box filled with smoke.
That's not the same thing.
Despite the dimention of your object, your media is not what I call dense.

You should try with an isosurface using some function that have
repeating holes, like leopard. Use "all_intersections. Use a material
with some transparency, an interior with an ior of about 1.4 to 1.7,
fade_color fade_distance and fade_power 1 or fade_power 1001.
The texture should have some transparency:
  rgbf<Red_Value, Green_Value, Blue_Value, 0.7>
Add some specular to the finish: specular 0.5 roughness 0.01.

If you want, you can keep your media, but you probably don't need it.

In the global_settings set max_trace_level to a relatively large value,
like 90 to 255 and increase adc_bailout to something like 0.01 to 0.05.
max_trace_level allows you to dig deeper into the object and prevent
black spots.
adc_bailout keep the render time under controll at the price of a little
less precision.

Alain

Post a reply to this message