POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Competition for the end of 2009? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:30:56 EDT (-0400)
  Competition for the end of 2009? (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Competition for the end of 2009?
Date: 15 Dec 2009 13:14:40
Message: <4b27d210$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:49:49 -0500, gregjohn wrote:

> Items have to be less than some X
> bytes, and are scored artistically on a basis blind to render time, but
> the ultimate scoring is affected by the render time on your computer

That would seem to bias the competition in favour of people with faster
systems - not a really balanced competition IMHO.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 15 Dec 2009 13:18:05
Message: <4b27d2dd@news.povray.org>
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:49:49 -0500, gregjohn wrote:

> > Items have to be less than some X
> > bytes, and are scored artistically on a basis blind to render time, but
> > the ultimate scoring is affected by the render time on your computer

> That would seem to bias the competition in favour of people with faster
> systems - not a really balanced competition IMHO.

  I think "your computer" referred to Bourke's computer. In other words,
all the renderings would be performed on the same computer, thus the
timings would be fair.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:18:05 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:49:49 -0500, gregjohn wrote:
>
>> > Items have to be less than some X
>> > bytes, and are scored artistically on a basis blind to render time,
>> > but the ultimate scoring is affected by the render time on your
>> > computer
>
>> That would seem to bias the competition in favour of people with faster
>> systems - not a really balanced competition IMHO.
>
>   I think "your computer" referred to Bourke's computer. In other words,
> all the renderings would be performed on the same computer, thus the
> timings would be fair.

Oh, if that's the case, then yes, the timings would be fair.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> > On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:49:49 -0500, gregjohn wrote:
>
> > > Items have to be less than some X
> > > bytes, and are scored artistically on a basis blind to render time, but
> > > the ultimate scoring is affected by the render time on your computer
>
> > That would seem to bias the competition in favour of people with faster
> > systems - not a really balanced competition IMHO.
>
>   I think "your computer" referred to Bourke's computer.

No, Jim's computer.

Post a reply to this message

> > Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

> > > That would seem to bias the competition in favour of people with faster
> > > systems - not a really balanced competition IMHO.
> >
> >   I think "your computer" referred to Bourke's computer.

> No, Jim's computer.

  You mean he should donate computing power to the cause?

--
                                                          - Warp