POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Realtime stereoscopic reproduction of pre-rendered images Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:26:40 EDT (-0400)
  Realtime stereoscopic reproduction of pre-rendered images (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Realtime stereoscopic reproduction of pre-rendered images
Date: 18 Nov 2009 03:50:25
Message: <4b03b551$1@news.povray.org>
> Woah! I know there have been aftermarket products for PCs for many years,
> but this is the first time I've heard of 3D consumer TVs.

3D displays have been around for ages (since about 2003 I think), they
basically work by sending half the pixels to your left eye and half to the
right, by using some optical barrier system.  Of course you have to keep
your head in roughly the right place to see the effect, but the 3D quality
is very good and you don't need any glasses.  Phones, PC monitors and TVs
are available, but be warned they are expensive!

BTW the same technology is used in some state-of-the-art screens in cars, so
that the driver can see a different image to the passenger on the same
screen (eg map and radio or whatever).

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/08/2010-range-rover-gets-12-inch-dual-view-touchscreen/