POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dying? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:28:00 EDT (-0400)
  Dying? (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: mysdn
Subject: Re: Dying?
Date: 26 Jun 2009 18:30:00
Message: <web.4a454b246b99c8fbe4e47a1b0@news.povray.org>

> Why? Even if the project 'dies' as you put it, the code won't go away.

True the code will never go away, always be around for us fans to use , support
and enjoy. But as you know anything not improving is dying. Why, the answer is
competition, as other renderers free or not free get better and better, the one
who stands still starts to lose ground. Things have always been this way and
always will be. I don't know how many people are working on version 4 right
now, cause that's the version I want to get my hands on and willing to pay for
it financially, if a way to do so is worked out. At its current price (free)
POV-Ray is fantastic. I would dare suggest to make a paid version of POV-Ray
for users like me, if we use it for serious work then we pay some, not thru the
nose but pay some. Others may continue using it for free, paying users can have
more features such as the ability to use POV-Ray integrated into other
applications, etc.
I believe this should be given some serious thought because free forever may
have reached its limits.
To Chris Cason, I don't know who you are or what you do but I know you presently
coordinate the POV team and I have all the respect in the world for you for that
reason.

ibrahim

Post a reply to this message

> Things have always been this way and always will be.

	Nope.

--
Gate's Law: Every eighteen months, the speed of software halves.

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl