POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : volume scattering Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  volume scattering (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Christoph
Subject: volume scattering
Date: 26 Feb 2009 17:35:00
Message: <web.49a7184db87e37dc779dfb2b0@news.povray.org>
hello group!

has anyone had success simulating realistic volume scattering objects, like
teeth? i know a lot of work has gone into rendering realistic skin, which is
also a volume scatterer (google BSSRDF) ... but is it possible with povray?

i experimented with scattering and absorbing media, for example with the
following material:

material {
    texture { pigment {rgbt <1,1,0.9,0.1> } }
    interior {
      media {
         scattering {1, rgb <0.8,0.6,0.2>*10 extinction 0.01 }
      }
   }
}

when i turn up the pigment transparency i get a fog-like object, when i set it
low you cannot see the inside. the effect is far from satisfactory. can anyone
please give me a hint?

thanks a lot
christoph

Post a reply to this message

> has anyone had success simulating realistic volume scattering objects, like
> teeth? i know a lot of work has gone into rendering realistic skin, which is
> also a volume scatterer (google BSSRDF) ...

Actually, AFAIK all materials except metals are volume scatterers to some
degree...

> but is it possible with povray?

Do you mean "possible" or "feasible"? ;P

> i experimented with scattering and absorbing media, for example with the
> following material:
>
> material {
>     texture { pigment {rgbt <1,1,0.9,0.1> } }
>     interior {
>       media {
>          scattering {1, rgb <0.8,0.6,0.2>*10 extinction 0.01 }
>       }
>    }
> }
>
> when i turn up the pigment transparency i get a fog-like object, when i set it
> low you cannot see the inside. the effect is far from satisfactory. can anyone
> please give me a hint?

Yes: Crank up the pigment transparency, but also the media density. *10 is still
*WAY* too low for any good effect.

Plans exist to add some dedicated subsurface scattering mechanism to POV, but at
the moment they're no more than plans and a bit of feasibility study code.

Post a reply to this message