POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 24 bit heightfields Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  24 bit heightfields (Message 31 to 35 of 35)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: 24 bit heightfields
Date: 12 Dec 2008 20:05:13
Message: <49430a49@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:
> Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> I don't think it would be easy at all. You definitely can't use
>> antialiasing :) (try slightly blurring the image you have and loading it
>> into your app, see what you get!)
>
> Antialiasing doesn't seem to have harmed it in any way.

That's because at first I thought you wanted to do the opposite: generate
such a 24-bit image from POV-Ray, for another program to use. *That* would
be harmed by AA.

Post a reply to this message

From: SharkD
Date: 12 Dec 2008 22:00:01
Message: <web.49432474869f689ff47cf6bf0@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I generated the following heightfield in some program or other. It uses all 24
> bits for elevation information. My question is, how are the colors/height data
> organized? I would like to create a pigment that produces similar maps.
>
> http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/SharkD2161/Support/Untitled1_hf.png
>
> -Mike

I just rediscovered that I originally created the heightfield using Daylon
Leveller.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> I just rediscovered that I originally created the heightfield using Daylon
> Leveller.

Daylon provides a patch for POV-Ray that can load .ter files (directly from
Leveller) as heightfield images.

Post a reply to this message