POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anyone use Povray for things other than making images? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Anyone use Povray for things other than making images? (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: SharkD
Subject: Re: Anyone use Povray for things other than making images?
Date: 25 Jan 2008 18:50:00
Message: <web.479a74e0e9a30546fe776d7d0@news.povray.org>
wut?

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 26 Jan 2008 04:06:23
Message: <40ulp31kc5q0legom0dbcesfdrf2govqg4@4ax.com>
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:49:39 EST, "jhu" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>I was considering writing a webserver, except I don't know how to suppress all
>the text that scrolls by upon program launch.

IIRC a couple of people have made a Raytracer using SDL. That is a Raytracer
within a Raytracer.

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: jhu
Date: 26 Jan 2008 09:35:01
Message: <web.479b44fee9a305467bcf5ca50@news.povray.org>
There's actually an implementation in the official documentation...

Stephen <mcavoysATaolDOTcom@> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:49:39 EST, "jhu" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>
> >I was considering writing a webserver, except I don't know how to suppress all
> >the text that scrolls by upon program launch.
> >
> IIRC a couple of people have made a Raytracer using SDL. That is a Raytracer
> within a Raytracer.
>
> Regards
>  Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas George
Date: 26 Jan 2008 11:49:24
Message: <479b6494@news.povray.org>
Tor Olav Kristensen  wrote in message <479a40f5$1@news.povray.org>:
> For calculations with matrices, polynomials, vectors, complex numbers,
> quaternions etc.

You may find PARI/GP more convenient for that.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 26 Jan 2008 23:32:51
Message: <479c0973@news.povray.org>
Nicolas George wrote:
> Tor Olav Kristensen  wrote in message <479a40f5$1@news.povray.org>:
>> For calculations with matrices, polynomials, vectors, complex numbers,
>> quaternions etc.
>
> You may find PARI/GP more convenient for that.

Ok. Thank you for the tip.

I have had very few real need for such tools. I just did it for
learning more about the math and POV-Ray's SDL.

But it is great that there are such tools that are open source.
I see that it is available in Gentoo, so maybe I'll try it out.

tok@storeblaa ~ $ emerge --search pari
Searching...
[ Results for search key : pari ]
[ Applications found : 4 ]

*  dev-perl/math-pari
      Latest version available: 2.010709
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 1,616 kB
      Homepage:
http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/I/IL/ILYAZ/modules/Math-Pari-2.010709.readme
      License:       || ( Artistic GPL-2 )

*  sci-mathematics/pari
      Latest version available: 2.3.2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 1,968 kB
      Homepage:      http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/
      License:       GPL-2

*  sci-mathematics/pariguide [ Masked ]
      Latest version available: 0.43a
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 571 kB
      Homepage:      http://www.skalatan.de/pariguide/
      License:       GPL-2

*  sys-apps/lsparisc [ Masked ]
      Latest version available: 0.3
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 23 kB
      Homepage:      http://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/lsparisc
      License:       GPL-2

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Warren
Date: 30 Jan 2008 06:55:00
Message: <web.47a06461e9a305469983c9190@news.povray.org>
I once used Pov-Ray in an attempt to stage a coup in a small third world
country.
It was unsuccessful, but I did manage to change the radio station format from
country music to rock. (While loops. Need I say more?}

Peter Warren

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 30 Jan 2008 07:06:53
Message: <22q0q3ddcd019v2m46ptdn0j46a5759nlb@4ax.com>
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 06:49:53 EST, "Peter Warren" <war### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>It was unsuccessful, but I did manage to change the radio station format from
>country music to rock. (While loops. Need I say more?}

You deserve a medal for that :)

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: jhu
Date: 30 Jan 2008 08:20:01
Message: <web.47a0790be9a305467bcf5ca50@news.povray.org>
You, sir, are my hero!

"Peter Warren" <war### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> I once used Pov-Ray in an attempt to stage a coup in a small third world
> country.
> It was unsuccessful, but I did manage to change the radio station format from
> country music to rock. (While loops. Need I say more?}
>
> Peter Warren

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Warren
Date: 31 Jan 2008 06:20:01
Message: <web.47a1adcfe9a3054673d3f860@news.povray.org>
> You deserve a medal for that :)
> Regards
>  Stephen

Thanks,
Maybe a Bronze.
Best
   Peter

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Warren
Date: 31 Jan 2008 06:25:00
Message: <web.47a1af22e9a3054673d3f860@news.povray.org>
> You, sir, are my hero!
A true hero would have used arrays and got the job done.
I think I am too old school.

Good luck with your webserver.

Power to the Pov,

Peter