POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : save rays in a file Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  save rays in a file (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: mobile valter
Subject: save rays in a file
Date: 19 Oct 2007 13:00:00
Message: <web.4718e16f1de0d95c131d4b250@news.povray.org>
I'm new to Pov-ray. I wanted to know if instead of rendering a camera-like
image, it is possible to saye rays (position x,y,z and cosine directions)
into a file?

Thanks

Valter

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Subject: Re: save rays in a file
Date: 19 Oct 2007 17:58:49
Message: <47192899@news.povray.org>
> I'm new to Pov-ray. I wanted to know if instead of rendering a camera-like
> image, it is possible to saye rays (position x,y,z and cosine directions)
> into a file?

No, it's always an image produced... but there is an orthographic camera
that produces a flat image with no perspective.

If you place a light behind the camera and use hf_gray_16 then you
can get a grayscale image with depth info suitable for height_field use.

Or you can use gradient textures, either way the output image has
depth info as luminance.

Post a reply to this message