POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to simulate a phenomenon Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  How to simulate a phenomenon (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: SharkD
Subject: Re: How to simulate a phenomenon
Date: 16 Jun 2007 22:55:01
Message: <web.4674a199e9b9c8222133baf20@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Take a look at how many cones you have. The first loop is executed 10 times, the
> secont 100 times = 1000 cones. This result in rays having to cross 2000
> surfaces! You then need a max_trace_level of AT LEAST 2001 while the maximum
> value possible is 255...
> Every times you exeed max_trace_level, you get BLACK returned.
>
> --
> Alain
> A short cut is the longest distance between two points.

Well, crud! So much for that.

Post a reply to this message

From: Skip Talbot
Date: 20 Jun 2007 11:51:21
Message: <46794cf9$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:
> My question is: how do you simulate the visual distortions caused by high
> heat? I.e., how do you make the air wavy around jet exhausts or candle
> flames?
>
> Thanks!

Can you fake it with a camera normal?  Localize the normal to the
specific part of the image you want to see the effect.  This process
would get complex if you have overlapping objects in front of the
effect, however.  I haven't played much with camera normals so I'm not
sure this will produce the desired result, but you might want to give it
a shot.

Skip

Post a reply to this message

From: William Tracy
Date: 20 Jun 2007 17:36:59
Message: <46799dfb$1@news.povray.org>
Skip Talbot wrote:
> Can you fake it with a camera normal?  Localize the normal to the
> specific part of the image you want to see the effect.

That's what was used in the "High Noon" 2004 IRTC entry:
http://irtc.org/anims/2004-10-15.html

It seemed to work there, but is slightly clunky. It doesn't take
distance into account.

--
William Tracy