POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help designing a logo Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Help designing a logo (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: GIZMO
Subject: Help designing a logo
Date: 25 Jan 2007 14:55:01
Message: <web.45b909dc4ebd9a58f5a527360@news.povray.org>
Hello Artists,

Note, I did not say "fellow artist," because while I'm creative in some ways
- I am not trained in graphic art or computer art.

However, I doo need your help.

I recently contracted with one of those "Bangladesh" based companies to have
a website developed from the ground up. There's a lot of programming (that's
where I'm saving the big bucks) and they also included the web design and
logo.

I'm sure their programming will be good - but after seeing their first round
of logo ideas, and template based web designs - it's clear - GRAPHIC DESIGN
is not their strength.

I have a logo with 3 relatively short words in it, and I've been thinking
that perhaps - some kind of 'raytraced font' would be a simple and elegent
way to go.

Then I could lay out the words - in one line - at the top of the web page -
but it would still stand out.

Here are my questions:

1)  Are there existing, already rendered, fonts that one can buy and use to
create a graphic image?  If so, how do I locate these products and how much
will I need to pay (typically.)

2) Is a logo like ----Google------ , or -----GMAIL-------, or
--------EBAY------raytraced? - or was some other method used to create the
3D affect?

I appreciate any help and advice.

gizmo

Post a reply to this message

> I have a logo with 3 relatively short words in it, and I've been thinking
> that perhaps - some kind of 'raytraced font' would be a simple and elegent
> way to go.
>
> Then I could lay out the words - in one line - at the top of the web page -
> but it would still stand out.
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> 1)  Are there existing, already rendered, fonts that one can buy and use to
> create a graphic image?  If so, how do I locate these products and how much
> will I need to pay (typically.)
>
> 2) Is a logo like ----Google------ , or -----GMAIL-------, or
> --------EBAY------raytraced? - or was some other method used to create the
> 3D affect?
>
> I appreciate any help and advice.
>
> gizmo

Well there are a lot of people in the community that would probably be
willing to give it a go.  I posted a recent example of a web page banner
over in the "binaries->images" newsgroup to give you an idea of what
POV-Ray can do.  All the fonts that are available standard in Windows can
be used, as well as many others you could download for free off the web.
Here's a link to my other post:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.45b917ddcd47e2b11009749b0%40news.povray.org%3E/

As far as how Google or Ebay does their logos, I'm not sure.  You can do
quite a bit in the paint programs available nowdays, but for a real 3D
effect, POV-Ray is the way to go.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

"Mike Sobers" <sob### [at] mindspringcom> wrote:
> "GIZMO" <gog### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > Hello Artists,
> >
> > I have a logo with 3 relatively short words in it, and I've been thinking
> > that perhaps - some kind of 'raytraced font' would be a simple and elegent
> > way to go.
> >
> > Then I could lay out the words - in one line - at the top of the web page -
> > but it would still stand out.

I'll be glad to give it a go if you e-mail me with a description of the logo
you're trying to make.  I have some ready-made scenes that would be simple
to modify.

Mike

sobersjunk_at_mindspring_dot_com