POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : is there any feature for volume raytracing with povray? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  is there any feature for volume raytracing with povray? (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: lien
Subject: is there any feature for volume raytracing with povray?
Date: 10 Jan 2007 03:35:00
Message: <web.45a4a43af46d0e7d1524ae1d0@news.povray.org>
In fact, I want to render the implicit iso-surface embeded in 3D volume data
set.

if there is no such feature in Povray, how about some other? such as
MegaRay, ...

thanks~

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 10 Jan 2007 03:36:21
Message: <45a4a585@news.povray.org>
lien <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> In fact, I want to render the implicit iso-surface embeded in 3D volume data
> set.

  Could you explain what that means?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: lien
Date: 10 Jan 2007 04:10:00
Message: <web.45a4acdfaa1909d1524ae1d0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> lien <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > In fact, I want to render the implicit iso-surface embeded in 3D volume data
> > set.
>
>   Could you explain what that means?
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Oh, maybe my description is not so clear.
what i want is the volume raytracing technique based feature in povray.
I know that we can render the implicit iso-surface by using the existing
keyword "isosurface" in povray, but it seems that it is based on some
technique like Marching Cube, which first extraction the geometry of the
iso-surface. But with volume raytracing technique, we can directly raytrace
the volume data and save the geometry extracting step.

who can tell me something about it? does any xx-ray can do such things
exists?

thanks

Post a reply to this message

>>> In fact, I want to render the implicit iso-surface embeded in 3D volume data
>>> set.
>>   Could you explain what that means?
>>
>> --
>>                                                           - Warp
>
> Oh, maybe my description is not so clear.
> what i want is the volume raytracing technique based feature in povray.
> I know that we can render the implicit iso-surface by using the existing
> keyword "isosurface" in povray, but it seems that it is based on some
> technique like Marching Cube, which first extraction the geometry of the
> iso-surface. But with volume raytracing technique, we can directly raytrace
> the volume data and save the geometry extracting step.

As far as I understand there is no extraction of geometry in POV-Ray's
isosurfaces, it indeed uses what you call "volume raytracing". In other
words, for each ray the intersection with the surface is computed, but
the surface is not reconstructed as a whole.

Regards

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message

> Oh, maybe my description is not so clear.
> what i want is the volume raytracing technique based feature in povray.
> I know that we can render the implicit iso-surface by using the existing
> keyword "isosurface" in povray, but it seems that it is based on some
> technique like Marching Cube, which first extraction the geometry of the
> iso-surface. But with volume raytracing technique, we can directly
> raytrace
> the volume data and save the geometry extracting step.

Look up df3 files and media in the POV docs, it might do what you want
(never used it myself).

Post a reply to this message

> what i want is the volume raytracing technique based feature in povray.
> I know that we can render the implicit iso-surface by using the existing
> keyword "isosurface" in povray, but it seems that it is based on some
> technique like Marching Cube, which first extraction the geometry of the
> iso-surface. But with volume raytracing technique, we can directly raytrace
> the volume data and save the geometry extracting step.

  Isosurfaces don't use anything like marching cubes, and I don't really
understand what is the relation between isosurfaces and volume raytracing.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message