POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : handedness - affected by transforms? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  handedness - affected by transforms? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Paco
Subject: handedness - affected by transforms?
Date: 29 Dec 2006 16:30:00
Message: <web.459582a7b9760bf9e43211920@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to manipulate the camera from an external program by means of an
INI file. The external program is right-handed and I originally manipulated
the camera by means of a series of rotations and translations -everything
worked fine. Now i'm trying manipulate the camera using the matrix
transform. in my case the transform is:

matrix <  matrix00  ,  matrix10  , -matrix20,
          matrix01  ,  matrix11  , -matrix21,
         -matrix02  , -matrix12  , +matrix22,
          matrix03  ,  matrix13  , -matrix23    >

matrixIJ is the element in row I column J of my original matrix which
transforms points like p'=M.p, and the sign changes are to transform the
pov coords to right handed (z'=-z) , transform the point, then change it to
left-handed.

It doesn't work for some situations, and I'm wondering if it is something to
do with POV's internal idea of handedness. I know that if I set the right
vector to say <-1,0,0> it will assume a left handed system. What happens
with a transformation though?

Does POV change to left-handed only if the right vector is explicitly set
with a -ve x coord, or can transformations alter it as well? Does anyone
know the exact way it's determined?

Post a reply to this message