POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Creating heightfields from photographs Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:21:43 EDT (-0400)
  Creating heightfields from photographs (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Subject: Creating heightfields from photographs
Date: 21 Jul 2006 15:32:41
Message: <44c12bd9$1@news.povray.org>
It would be great to be able to take relief photographs of  real-world
objects and then have them easily converted into heightfields.

The easiest way, for things like brick walls, is to convert the image to
gray scale, perhaps invert the tones, maybe adjust the contrast, and then go
with it.  But this can lead to strange things happening in some cases, and
it generally only tends to work (using the term loosely) for things like
brick walls, pavement, etc.

I know that there are "shape from shading" filters which can be applied to
The Gimp, but they don't exactly look like a no-brainer.  Has anyone tried
this approach?

Basically, any advice on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Post a reply to this message