POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray license prevents free distribution by commercial folks? Server Time
19 Mar 2024 05:56:52 EDT (-0400)
  povray license prevents free distribution by commercial folks? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: gregjohn
Subject: povray license prevents free distribution by commercial folks?
Date: 8 Sep 2005 10:35:01
Message: <web.43204b61cff5d9da40d56c170@news.povray.org>
Is it illegal to put a povray CD in a magazine you sell for cash?

Please see:

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/4.0

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 8 Sep 2005 11:00:57
Message: <43205229$1@news.povray.org>
gregjohn wrote:
> Is it illegal to put a povray CD in a magazine you sell for cash?
>
> Please see:
>
> http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/4.0

Assuming that person is talking about a Knoppix distribution on a DVD (the
website name certainly suggests that, but I did not check), then than this
person cannot read plain English:

<http://www.povray.org/distribution-license.html>

2. OPEN SOURCE DISTRIBUTIONS

2.1. In return for the Distributor agreeing to be bound by the terms of
      this agreement, POV grants the Distributor permission to make a
      copy of the Software by including the Software in a generally
      recognised Distribution of a recognised operating system where the
      kernel of that operating system is made available under licensing
      terms:

       (a) which are approved by the Open Source Initiative
           (www.opensource.org) as complying with the "Open Source
           Definition" put forward by the Open Source Initiative; or

       (b) which comply with the "free software definition" of the Free
           Software Foundation (www.fsf.org).

2.2. As at June 2004, and without limiting the generality of the term,
      each of the following is a "generally recognised Distribution" for
      the purposes of clause 2.1: Debian, Red Hat (Enterprise and
      Fedora), SuSE, Mandrake, Xandros, Gentoo and Knoppix Linux
      distributions, and officially authorized distributions of the
      FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD projects.

<<<

and some people can't manage to read the rest either.  I think the last
sentence of 4.1 (c) is really clear:

4. RESTRICTIONS ON DISTRIBUTION

4.1. Nothing in this agreement gives the Distributor:

       (a) any ability to grant any licence in respect of the use of the
           Software or any part of it to any person;

       (b) any rights or permissions in respect of, including rights or
           permissions to distribute or permit the use of, any Derived
           Code;

       (c) any right to bundle a copy of the Software (or part thereof),
           whether or not as part of a Distribution, with any other
           items, including books and magazines.  POV may, in response to
           a request, by notice in writing and in its absolute
           discretion, permit such bundling on a case by case basis.
           This clause 4.1(c) does not apply to Distributions permitted
           under clause 2;

<<<

I would say the inability to read English is the problem of the person on
the website you cited. So, I think i can only wish you good luck trying to
teach English to that person! <sigh>

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> Is it illegal to put a povray CD in a magazine you sell for cash?

No.  For putting POV-Ray on a CD *in general* you must obtain written
permission by the POV-Team.  But the distribution license contains an
explicit exceptions for Open source Operating system distribution.  See:

[...]

It even mentions Knoppix explicitly!

Note this includes any commercial distribution (as long as the Kernel
complies with 2.1.a ot 2.1.b.  This means that a Knoppix distribution
containing POV-Ray could be sold, bundled with books/magazines/whatever
without first obtaining permission.

I agree this is difficult to conclude from the license text but that's
because of the well known fact that the license has been originally
written when such things as Linux distributions did not exist and it had
to be adapted without breaking the spirit of the original license (which
has a strong emphasis on preventing to obscure the fact that POV-Ray can
be used for free).

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)