POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : cast shadows like in an eclipse Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  cast shadows like in an eclipse (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: manoweb
Subject: cast shadows like in an eclipse
Date: 30 May 2005 05:05:02
Message: <web.429ad6dcb65853c95323949b0@news.povray.org>
Hi, I would like to create an animation to better explain what happens
during an eclipse.

My scene is:
camera
{
        orthographic
        location <25, 5, -50>
        look_at <25, 0, 0>
}

#declare sunlight =
sphere
{
        0,10
        pigment { rgbf <1,1,1,1> }
        finish { specular 5 metallic}
}

light_source { 0 color rgb <1,1,0.6> looks_like { sunlight } }

#declare earth =
sphere
{
        0, 5
        pigment { ... }
}

I would like to "see" the shadow the earth casts on the direction opposite
to the sun. I think that the correct "media" for the space could do the
trick, showing a yellowish light on all the scene but a darker cone behind
the earth. Until now I had no luck, the scene gets extremely white or like
with no media; any advice on how I can achieve what I want?

thank you
Alessio Sangalli

Post a reply to this message

manoweb nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-05-30 05:03:
> Hi, I would like to create an animation to better explain what happens
> during an eclipse.
>
> My scene is:
> camera
> {
>         orthographic
>         location <25, 5, -50>
>         look_at <25, 0, 0>
> }
>
> #declare sunlight =
> sphere
> {
>         0,10
>         pigment { rgbf <1,1,1,1> }
>         finish { specular 5 metallic}
> }
>
> light_source { 0 color rgb <1,1,0.6> looks_like { sunlight } }
>
> #declare earth =
> sphere
> {
>         0, 5
>         pigment { ... }
> }
>
> I would like to "see" the shadow the earth casts on the direction opposite
> to the sun. I think that the correct "media" for the space could do the
> trick, showing a yellowish light on all the scene but a darker cone behind
> the earth. Until now I had no luck, the scene gets extremely white or like
> with no media; any advice on how I can achieve what I want?
>
> thank you
> Alessio Sangalli

Personaly, I won't use any media for that. What I would use ia a plane set to receive
the shadow.
Place it to cut the eart in half and place the sun in front of it. Change the sun for
an area_light
with circular orient adaptive 0 (1 if you want to show the shadow beyond the tip of
the full shadow
cone).

Alain